White Blank Page

Characters: reader, Bucky, Steve, Natasha, Sam.

Summary: Reader is caught in a messy situation when she falls for an emotionally unavailable Bucky.

Warnings: super angsty, sex mentions, controlling behavior, heartbreak.

Song Inspiration: White Blank Page by Mumford & Sons

______________________

"Can you lie next to her

And give her your heart, your heart

As well as your body?

And can you lie next to her

Confess your love, your love

As well as your folly?"

It was your own fault, really. You allowed this to happen. You let him into your life, into your bed, and somehow you had given him your heart in the process. Which turned out to be a mistake.

_________

Bucky never really paid any special attention to you when you moved into the tower and became an Avenger. Steve introduced the former Winter Soldier to you and it turned out the still-used moniker on missions was incredibly fitting since all the response you got was a frosty nod from him. From then on, you kept your distance, conversing with him only when necessary.

Bucky was undeniably attractive, you weren't blind to it or anything. That chiseled jaw, chin length chestnut hair, piercing blue eyes, and muscular build, not to mention the curiously sexy metal arm, how could you not notice? Your eyes tended to follow him whenever he entered the room and the ever-observant Natasha caught on to it quickly.

"I wouldn't get involved, Y/N. Besides, he has a girlfriend or something."

"I didn't ask. And why should I care if he has a girlfriend?" you replied, offering a smile to the redhead.

"Whatever you say..." trailed off the redhead in disbelief.

Try as you might to keep your head and heart in check, both failed as you watched him interact with the other teammates, a dazzling smile upon his gorgeous face, or when you caught a glimpse of him dressed up for a date. One day Clint's family came to visit at the tower and seeing Bucky interact adorably with the young kids about had you coming undone. Men who were good with children was your weakness. You were in trouble.

Determined not to fixate on this unavailable man, you threw yourself completely into your training and medical studies under Dr. Banner. The more you kept yourself busy, the less time and mind space he could occupy.

You found yourself sparring with Natasha one day in the gym as he walked in, your eyes flickering his way momentarily before focusing on the task at hand. Nat still pinned you to the mat in the end, but you had held your own. Taking a break, you walked over to your gym bag and took a swig of your water bottle. Unable stop yourself, you allowed your gaze to land on the Super Soldier once again, surprised to see his eyes already on you. He quickly turned his focus back to Steve as the two men circled each other preparing to spar. Gathering your towel and bag, you left the gym then without another glance.

Two weeks later, you were bent down peering into a microscope with a slide of Steve's serum-infused blood magnified 100x. Your work under Dr. Banner's tutelage was focused on the quick healing abilities of the serum specifically. You were determined to isolate that property, hoping to duplicate it and one day use it to heal those who didn't have the luxury of Dr. Cho's expertise and technology.