05 - I HATE BRUTES LIKE YOU

"FUCK, THAT ONE BLONDIE IS weird, isn't he?"

Popping a hole into the banana milk carton, [Y/N] took a large swig of the sweet drink that tasted like artificial bananas. (Technically, the bananas that're edible are artificial bananas, so who is he to complain about it?) His legs swung loosely over the overpass while he turned to look at Mindeulle, who was patiently sipping her own drink. When night fell and it was just them, he turned off his filter and poured out his emotions. This would be another one of those nights, given how eventful their day had been.

"He's alright," was all she could say back, shrugging before adding, "Rumi's a bit tense. Tomorrow, treat her nicely, okay? We don't want to scare her off."

Downing the last of his milk, he nodded in compliance. "Still, he thinks that I like the short girl. I was just lookin' at him since she likes someone else but he came along anyways, but when he noticed, he was glaring at me with a constipated face."

"How do you know that?"

"It's easy to tell."

They savored the short, comfortable silence that fell between them. The moon was brilliant as it illuminated the city, shining over the pair with a pale light. The moment would've been a perfect memory, but the distant look in [Y/N]'s eyes kept Mindeulle from closing their own distance.

"So," he began in his usual monotone voice. "Junseo? Really?"

The name brought a faint smile to her face. "What? I'm not the one who knows him like that."

Keeping his eyes trained on her, he never missed the slyness of her expression. "I'm not stupid. He's an idiot, but he'd never stalk somebody," he continued with a short sigh.

"Are you accusing me of something? You of all people should know that dipping after screwing someone wouldn't make you the most likable person around. He's not the first to obsess over you, and he won't be the last."

"Hey."

She returned his stare as she mindlessly twirled her hair around her fingers. Instead of anger, her eyes swirled with a fake innocence.

"Don't tell me you're jealous."

Faltering for a split second, it was all [Y/N] needed to see. He turned around, gathering his empty bottles and shielding his view from the bright lights of passing cars. Mindeulle could get home by herself--she wasn't defenseless. But for him? The night was still young, and he had plenty of other things he could do instead of thinking about the hot-and-cold Mindeulle. She was always like this, promising to change but never making an effort to do so... but then again, so was he.

Towards the heart of the city, a neon glow emerged from all the clubs coming to life. More adults were out and about, dressed in flashy clothing full of glittery sequins and cheap satin. How gaudy, he thought, tossing his trash into a nearby garbage bin. But fun. He walked through the streets he's memorized for years, ignoring the rambunctious laughter of other students like him coming back from their cram schools or date.

He wanted to take things easy for tonight. That'd be for the best.

***

Well, that's what he thought he should do. But instead...

"Look at his pretty mug. Gonna piss your pants, kid?"

A circle of older men surrounded him on all sides. Some wielded a rusty pipe while others were content with a shit-eating grin. The sudden change in scene made the boy stay quiet, unsure of what to do. He's had his fair share of scuffles and enduring their beatings, but these were adults. (Greasy adults, but adults nonetheless.)