Chapter Two: The Madrigal Family

ABUELA- “Abre los ojos, open your eyes.”

The family perked up as they all heard Abuela’s voice from the screen. 

MIRABEL- “This where our magic comes from?”

A chorus of ‘awws’ was heard from the crowd as a younger version of Mirabel appeared on the screen. Mirabel could feel her face heat up in embarrassment. It didn’t help when Tío Bruno nudged her with his shoulder giving a small teasing smile.

The film that was mere seconds into playing then paused.

“Camilo!” Everyone turned and faced the teenager. 

“Why do you guys automatically assume it was me?” He asked.

“Was it?” His Papá questioned.

“Well, yeah, that’s beside the point!”

“Is that what you looked like when you were younger Mirabel?” Antonio’s voice spoke up as he pointed to the screen. 

“It was.” Her Mamá spoke up for her. “And she looks so cute! I mean just look at those adorable chubby cheeks!” She gushed only causing Mirabel to sink into her chair more.

“Mamá!” Her face slowly gained a flush of red.

“Okay, but is no one wondering why we are starting here?” Camilo said, gesturing at the screen. “Did it really start that long ago?” He asked another question.

“Well maybe if you didn’t pause it we would know.” Luisa smirked as she picked up her own remote and hit play.

ABUELA- “Mhm. This candle holds  the miracle given to our family”

MIRABEL- “How did we get a miracle?”

“How did we get a miracle?” Antonio asked.

ABUELA- “Long ago, when my three babies had just been born, your Abuelo Pedro and I were forced to flee our home. And though many joined us, hoping to find a new home, we could not escape the dangers. And your Abuelo was lost. But, in our darkest moment, we were given a miracle. The candle became a magical flame that could never go out. And it blessed us with a refuge in which to live. A place of wonder.”

MIRABEL- “An encanto!”

ABUELA- “An encanto. The miracle grew, and our house, our Casita itself came alive to shelter us. When my children came of age the miracle blessed each with a magical gift to help us. And when their children came of age…”

The screen paused again and the family all turned to Camilo.

“What? I was just going to ask if that was what Mamá, Tía Julieta and Tío Bruno really looked like when they were five.” 

Mirabel could be heard quietly laughing from the back of the room. Everyone turned, curious to find out what had the girl in laughter. 

“Sorry… sorry.” Mirabel apologised as she calmed herself. “It’s just… it’s just that… Tío Bruno looks like coffee kid.”

“Who?” Everyone asked.

“Oh, the kid in town who always drinks coffee… I don’t know his name so I just call him coffee kid.” She explained.

MIRABEL- “They got magic, too!”

ABUELA- “That’s right. And together, our family’s gifts made a new home a paradise. Tonight, this candle will give you your gift. Mi vida. Strengthen our community. Strengthen our home. Make your family proud.”