Prologue

The exportation of articles in a manner contrary to law.

Smuggling is an act of any person who import, bring into, assist in doing so, contrary to law or shall receive, conceal, buy, sell or in any manner facilitate the transportation, concealment or sale of articles after importation, knowing the same to have been imported contrary to law.

Contrary to law.

We can ignore that bit. I transfer goods or articles. Whatever you want dispatched, I bring it to the location like a sneaky skua. Because why not? These goods are important to those who'll receive it. And for me, the law doesn't always understand that.

"Tio, are you sure you're only gonna bring those two in your final transport?" my friend, my manager, point-person, or whatever you want to call her, asked me. She's the one who communicates with our clients and sends me the details of every transport request I receive. She's reliable and we go way back.

I turned my head to her with a stoic expression as we walk. As usual, she doesn't look like she can do much in her baggy turtle neck, ankle-long skirt, sneakers and bunned up messy hair. She's skinny too. Who would've thought that this woman would be the most guileful secretary the black market has ever had? I, too, was surprised but she's been in this business longer than I am.

"Miss, one of those two will replace me..." I told her and added, "...so you should get to know them better."

"Where did you meet them anyway?" she asked while we walk together to my office, the janitor's lounge.

"I haven't met them yet. They'll meet me for the first time today." I said.

"What? Then, how? Are you sure they're reliable, Tio?" she questioned me.

I stopped walking cause her line of questioning annoys me. She also stopped. I turned to look at her scoffingly and said, "Am I not the best transport agent you have, miss? Do you doubt my capabilities?"

She shook her head side to side pathetically. Sigh. This woman we can only call "miss", I really can't believe she's been the point-person for so long. Looks can really be deceiving.

I resume walking and continued to say,"You'll find out for yourself who these people are and why I picked them in a little while. For now, can you brief me again about the job?"

"Ah yes yes." she's stuttering but she proceeded to discuss, "As per your request, for your final job, you are going to smuggle-"

Tch.

"-I mean, transport a list of people from the asylum out to the labor market in London and Pakistan. In the process, you are also to transport100 tons worth of varied articles into the asylum." she explained.

"Are you sure about this? How are you going to do this? I know it's your final job so you'd want it to be big but why the people from the asylum? And also the amount and variety of the goods are-" she continually questioned me but I interrupted her.

"We're here." I said as I opened the door to the janitor's lounge of the Bureau of Customs. My office.

As we entered, I see the two of them sitting across each other on the table. Two total opposites staring at each other. I greeted them and they turned their gazes to me, "Hi, nice to meet you two, Eddy and Dami."

-----------------------------------------------

At least once in their lives, everyone have smuggled something. Be it booze into the school grounds, mobile phones in class, outside food into the cinemas, drugs at work, etc. Those are some of the basic things that common people do. But we don't want to be basic, do we?