Chapter 2 - Refuge

Year 845

Wall Rose, Trost District

3rd POV

The usual busy city of Trost, one of the poorer districts of Wall Rose, is currently in chaos as the flood of refugees from Wall Maria. The population in the city had almost tripled overnight. And with the current food shortages even before the fall of Wall Maria, tensions were at an all-time high. In the town square, there was a large crowd of people standing waiting for their day of rations.

In the crowd, we can see a young boy with long H/C hair with red highlights standing next to an old man with long white hair. Y/N looked in sadness at the recent loss of not only his home but his father as well. His grandfather, Yoriichi, looked to be deep in thought. Suddenly Yoriichi looked down at his grandson.

Yoriichi "Y/N, I'll grab us our rations for today. You go over there" He pointed to a small little patio-looking area where there were few people. "I'll meet you there in a little bit."

Y/N just nodded before walking into the area his grandfather was talking about. When he got there he looked around at the people that were waiting there and he saw some familiar faces.

Y/N POV

I began walking over to Eren and Mikasa and hoped that they remembered me at least a little. It had been a week since I had last seen them and it seems that they had been through quite a bit.

Y/N "Hey guys." They looked over to me before smiling.

Eren "Y/N! You're alright!" He got up and ran over to me. "How did you get out of there?"

Y/N "Well my da-" I suddenly froze up, thinking about how my father most likely died to the titans in there. Mikasa noticed this and chopped Eren on the head.

Mikasa "Maybe we shouldn't bring up that day. How have you been fairing Y/N?"

Y/N "It's been okay. My grandfather is getting our rations for right now. What about you guys?"

Before they could answer, I heard Armin call out from behind the pair. We all looked to see him carrying three pieces of bread. He looked at me with a smile and ran over careful to not drop their rations.

Armin "Y/N, where have you been?" He handed Eren and Mikasa their rations as I answered.

Y/N "Kind of just everywhere. My grandfather and I haven't been able to find a good place to set up."

Eren "How about you guys bunk with us?! We have this large warehouse with very few people in it."

Y/N "I'd have to ask my grandfather and see what he thinks. But I'm sure he'll take the offer." 

Eren and Armin seemed to be excited at the idea of me joining them while Mikasa just seemed like her usual quiet and collected self. I hear footsteps behind me and I saw my grandfather with our rations heading my way.

Yoriichi "Ah Y/N, making new friends I see?" His old smile was something that could brighten a room. 

Y/N "Not new. This is Eren, Mikasa, and Armin." I said pointing to each as I said their name. "I met them back in Shinganshina."

Yoriichi "I see. Well thank you all for taking care of Y/N, he's never been the most social of people."

Eren "Sir-" Yoriichi interjected

Yoriichi "Just Yoriichi is fine. I'm not a soldier just a man."

Eren "Alright, Yoriichi, we thought we would offer you guys a place to sleep tonight. We have a massive warehouse with space for extra people."