01 || The Blair Children

Katerina loved her younger brother. Really, she did! But when she was rudely woken up from a pleasant dream on the morning of her eleventh birthday by Leo bouncing up and down on her bed, her only thoughts were of murder and not at all of familial love.

"Leo!" she scolded, eyes bleary and half-open. "Get off!"

Leo ignored her irritation entirely.

"Happy birthday!" he said excitedly as he continued to jump on the bed. Letting out a groan, Katie placed her arm across her eyes. Her peace was disturbed further when her bedroom door swung open. She was greeted with a chorus of cheerful chants of "Happy birthday!" as her parents and older brother entered the bedroom.

Giving one final jump, Leo plopped down on the end of Katie's bed, grinning widely, and crossed his legs. The next thing Katie knew, her mother Maria had thrown her arms around her, casing her in a bone-crushing hug and squeezing the air right out of her lungs. All this happened before Katie had the chance to really wake up.

"Oh, happy birthday honey!" Maria squealed.

"Thanks mum, but I can't breathe," Katie wheezed. She couldn't see herself, of course, but she was sure her face was growing purple.

"Sorry!" Maria promptly let her go. She stood back, smiling brightly from ear-to-ear, and Katie could see the tears that were brimming her eyes. "I just can't believe my little girl is eleven! They grow up so fast, don't they, dear?"

She cast a glance in her husband's direction. Anthony Blair was smiling just as much as everyone else in the room (excluding Katie, who was still rather disgruntled and wanted nothing more than to go back to sleep), and in his hands he held a tray of breakfast stacked with sausages, bacon, black pudding, toast and a small jar of marmalade, with a steaming cup of tea and a glass of pumpkin juice to wash it all down.

He placed the tray on the bed, leaning down to embrace his daughter warmly and place a kiss on the top of her head.

"Happy birthday," Anthony said, and any of the annoyance that Katie had been feeling instantly dissolved.

A little collection of wrapped presents were gifted to Katie by both of her parents and Leo. She told them that she would open them when she finished eating and they left her, at long last, in peace.

Katie looked down at the vast amount of food on her tray.

"Do you want some?" she asked, looking up at her older brother, who was lingering in the corner of the room. He gave her a little smile but shook his head.

"It's your birthday. Eat up."

Katie snorted. "You're barking if you think I can eat all of this myself."

Nevertheless, she opted to give it her best shot. She started with the sausages, cutting them up and putting them on her toast as Chris crossed the room, seating himself on the edge of Katie's bed.

Christian—or Chris—was the eldest of the Blair children, and certainly the most promising. Though Leo was only nine and still had much blossoming to do, so perhaps he would surprise the family one day. And maybe Chris had gotten quite a few letters home from Hogwarts regarding his less than acceptable behaviour on several occassions, but he was a remarkable Quidditch player and, despite his knack for causing trouble, he got quite good marks in his classes.

"Why are you still here?" Katie asked as she sipped her tea.

Chris arched an eyebrow. "Do you really hate me that much?" he chuckled, earning himself an eyeroll from his sister. "I didn't get you a present."

Katie glanced at the three vibrantly wrapped gifts on the end of her bed.

"I noticed," she hummed, biting into her toast and sausages. "But in all fairness, you did get grounded and couldn't go outside, so I suppose I can let it slide."