07 || The Quidditch Stadium

Katie was incredibly late for classes on Monday morning. She had overslept, courtesy of staying awake far past midnight, staring at the unopened letter that had been sent to her from home. She was terrified to read it, to see what response her parents would give to her being sorted into Slytherin house. But when her eyelids started to grow heavy, she told herself that she needed to suck it up, read the letter and get to bed.

Dear Katerina,

Did you really meet Harry Potter? That is cool! I'm glad to hear you got to Hogwarts safely. I do hope you enjoy it there, I loved it as a boy. And I hope that Chris will take good care of you. Tell Niall and Oscar that I say hello.

It is a shame that you weren't sorted into Gryffindor, and an even bigger shame that you were placed, out of all the houses, in Slytherin. But I want you to know that, no matter your Hogwarts house, your mother and I are so, so proud of you. And you'll get to go down in history as the nicest ever Slytherin! Isn't that cool? So don't worry about it too much, dear. I know you'll do great at Hogwarts!

Love,
Dad.

The letter lay tucked beneath her pillow and her bed was left unmade as she scrambled out of the dungeons, tearing up the stairs towards the Entrance Hall. She was so late, she hadn't even had the time to check her bag and ensure that all the materials she needed were inside it. She would just have to hope that what she had would suffice until lunch.

So distracted by her tardiness, Katie didn't even notice the person in the doorway at the top of the stairs until she slammed right into them. She staggered, barely managing to seize the metal railing on the wall and steady herself before she went tumbling down the steps.

"Katie!" Harry cried. "I—I'm so sorry, I didn't expect—"

"That's alright," Katie said quickly. She didn't stop to question why Harry, alone, had been descending into the dungeons. She merely pushed by him and continued on her way to the marble staircase. She couldn't afford to be any later to class than she already was and, truth be told, she really had no desire to speak to Harry.

"Hey, wait a second," Harry called, hurrying after her. When she didn't turn, only continuing to stride up the steps, Harry grabbed ahold of the sleeve of her robes. "Can I talk to you?"

"I'm late for class, Harry." Katie tugged her sleeve out of his grip, but he wasn't going to give up that easily. He followed after her, apparently having no regard for the fact that he too was late for whatever class he had.

"This will only take a second," Harry pleaded. Katie did not stop walking, but when she didn't tell him to leave her alone again, he figured this was an invitation to keep talking. "Look, about the other day, I'm really sorry—"

"Are you?" Katie laughed dryly. "You had a funny way of showing it."

"I know I was out of line," Harry said. "And Ron, too. But I really do want to be your friend, Katie."

Katie arched an eyebrow. "Again, you have a funny way of showing it." She came to a pause a few feet away from the door to the Charms classroom. Inside, she could already hear Professor Flitwick's squeaky voice instructing the class. Her lateness would certainly lose Slytherin points, but Harry had somehow compelled her to stop and listen to what he had to say.

"One more chance?" Harry asked hopefully, and a smile was playing at his mouth. "Please?"

Katie considered him for a long moment, hoping that her scowl was enough to make him feel even a little bit guilty. But, she supposed, he already did feel guilty. That was why he was apologising, right? He felt guilty for the way he and Ron had treated Katie after the Sorting Ceremony, and last Friday in the Entrance Hall too.