14 || Nicolas Flamel

The journey back to Hogwarts was bleak, sleet beating down with tremendous ferocity as the wind rattled the windows of the Hogwarts Express. Upon returning to school, Katie found that the snow that had covered the grounds all winter was melting, forming an icy black sludge. In contrast with the dreary atmosphere outside, the Great Hall was bustling with frenzied students reuniting with friends and sharing stories from the holidays.

Standing on the tips of her toes, Katie looked over the heads of everyone at the Gryffindor table in search of Harry, Ron and Hermione. When she couldn't seem to find them, she gave a nonchalant shrug and made for the Slytherin table, deciding that she would just greet her friends in class the following morning.

Pansy was already tucked into her meal of roast potatoes and ham. Katie piled some chicken and vegetables onto her own golden plate, stomach growling after a long trip with little food. When someone sat down across from her, Katie glanced up, and it was all she could do not to roll her eyes when she saw who had taken their seat at the table.

"Have a nice Christmas, Blair?"

"It was fine, Malfoy."

"Oh no, you didn't spend it with the Weasleys, did you?"

"Better them than you," Katie muttered.

Draco grew defensive at once, straightened his posture, glared across the table at Katie.

"What did you just say?" he demanded, an air of venom to his voice.

"She said you're a prat."

Katie recognised that voice instantly. Smile splitting her face, she looked over her shoulder to find Harry, Ron and Hermione standing behind her, grinning broadly.

"Harry!" Katie beamed. "Ron, Hermione!"

"Hi Katie," Ron smiled, face falling once more as he redirected his gaze to Draco.

"You better watch your mouth, Potter," Draco spat. Shuffling awkwardly in her seat, Katie rubbed her palms against her thighs. They had just gotten back to school, the last thing she wanted was to see a fight break out between Harry and Draco, much less be the cause of said fight.

"Yeah, and you better watch your back," Harry replied, and Katie could sense pride radiating from Ron at his words. Feeling a hand land on her shoulder, Katie turned her attention to Hermione.

"We need to talk to you," she said. "Now." Whatever Hermione wanted to discuss, it sounded urgent, so Katie wasted no time in standing up from the table.

"Bye Pansy," she said. "See you later, Malfoy."

Turning to her friends, Katie allowed herself to be led from the Great Hall.

"You just wasted two seconds of your life saying goodbye to that tosser," Ron growled. Katie chuckled in light amusement but did not say anything in response to his comment. Only once they were safely across the Entrance Hall and tucked into a niche, chatter from the Great Hall drowning out their voices, did Hermione decide it was safe for them to converse.

"So, what did you want to talk to me about?" Katie asked, her tone far too casual for the topic at hand. Her friends shared a nervous glance before Harry plucked up the courage to respond, gulping harshly before doing so.

"We—we need your help with the Nicolas Flamel mystery," he told her. "We were wondering if, maybe, your brother knew anything about him . . ."

He must have known how awful it was to exclude Katie from past discussions about the three-headed dog and whatnot, only to ultimately turn to her for help, because as Harry spoke, he refused to meet her eyes. He stared fixedly down at the floor, knocking his heels together.