The Question

"Okay Maddie you're up. Hmm, who do you like?" Kalani threw out the question like it meant nothing.

We sat in a circle. Kalani, Nia, Kendall, and me. It was tradition to play Q&A, a game Addy had taught Kalani, but it wasn't complicated. The person who sat to the right of you asked you a question, any question they wanted. And you, the person left of them, had to answer 100% honestly. If you lied, and someone caught you, they would call you out and then everyone in the circle got to ask you a question.

Should I lie I thought to myself. No one here will know if I lie. I'll lie then.

"Lucas" I say nonchalantly, looking around Kendall's room.

"Lucas?" Nia scrunches up her face. I feel the same way but obviously I can't show that.

"I guess he is, kind of cute...." Kendall's voice trails off because she clearly doesn't think he actually is.

"Kendall you think everyone's cute," Kalani says mockingly.

"Eh, that's kinda true" Kendall laughs it off and chugs down the 7/11 big gulp soda that she popped the lid off of.

"Okay moving on" Kalani directs her eyes to me which means it's now my turn to ask a question.

I wish I hadn't sat next to Kendall. I already knew everything there was to know about her so this game was getting boring real quick. There was, however, one question that I really did want the answer to. Everyone here tonight had already been asked it, me included. But maybe I was scared of what the answer would be. Because no matter how curious I was, Kendall's answer could change everything.

I dodged it yet again, "Who is the last person you texted?"

She didn't need to pull her phone out to know the answer, "Gino."

My face dropped. I tried my hardest not to show my emotions. I watched as she ran her fingers through her hair and like clockwork her phone buzzed. I could see it was true, Gino had been texting her all night.

"I have to go to the bathroom" I blurted out quickly untwisting from my crisscrossed legs. Luckily the bathroom was only two doors down from Kendall's room and her sisters were away at college. It was late but I paid no attention to how much noise or ruckus I was making as I stumbled down the hallway. I could only imagine what they were saying about me in there. Or maybe they hadn't thought anything of my sudden need to leave the room. Maybe I just had to pee, right? I shut the door behind me and sank down to the floor. Holding my head in my hands I let small breaths escape my mouth.

Two weeks. It had been two weeks since I had Gino. After I told him everything in the dressing room it was like nothing had changed. We lost the duet to Candy Apples and Abby was livid. She ordered Gino to leave immediately and that was the last I saw of him. When I got home that night I called him and we talked on the phone for hours. Everything was brought up, everything except for what I had said. We texted every day for a week, never did he bring up how he felt about how I felt. Slowly, the texts had dwindled down. Every time I tried to call, he was busy doing homework or out to dinner, can't talk right now sorry, he'd say. Yesterday we hadn't talked at all. Now I knew why. He had found someone else to talk to. Someone he actually could say "I like you" to. That was all I wanted.

"Maddie" a knock on the door disrupted me from my thoughts. I got up from the cold floor quickly. I hadn't even bothered to turn the light on so I switched it on my eyes burned as they adjusted to the brightness.

"Can I come in?" it was Kalani speaking.

"Yeah" my voice came out harsh and scratchy. The door creeped open and I watched through the mirror as she slithered in. From behind her I saw no one else. She had come alone which meant she knew something was wrong.

"I know what happened" she whispered standing behind me. I turned so I could face her. My arms leaned on the sink counter.

"What are you talking about?" I sounded mad but I wasn't mad at Kalani.

"I know what happened in the dressing room..two weeks ago.." her eyes trailed down to the floor.

I shook my head. There was no way she could know. It was only me and Gino in that room I made sure of it.

"I still don't know what you're talking" I replied staying firm to my story.

"Gosh Maddie, I know about you and Gino" she looked me right in the eyes and I knew she wasn't lying.

"How? We were the only ones in the room," I stopped leaning on the sink counter, moving closer to my friend.

"I forgot my headpiece for the group dance so I went back to get it. I looked behind the curtains, heard the door open. It must've been Gino. Then a couple seconds later I was still looking for it and then you walked in. You started, you know, saying that you liked him I guess and then I found my thing. But I couldn't come out after you said all that. It clearly was not meant for my ears or anyone elses. And I didn't tell you earlier cause I kinda felt, ba...d"

This was the worse day of my life I thought to myself.

"Kalani you can't tell anyone." I widened my eyes pleading.

"I won't. But, look I don't know this for sure or anything, but I think that, maybe, Kendall, maybe might like, Gino?" I could tell Kalani felt horribly bad for me. She could barely get the sentence out.

The question I had been avoiding all night was finally answered. Kendall liked Gino. Gino probably liked Kendall. And there I was hugging Kalani in the Vertes bathroom hoping this was all just a nightmare and that soon enough I'd wake up along side my three friends to the smell of pancakes and waffles, another sleepover tradition. But no matter how many times I blinked my eyes, I wasn't waking up this time.