A kiss, a secret, a lie

Kendall had no idea how wrong she was. I sat in the front seat of the car staring out the window. I don't like Gino. I don't like Gino. I don't like Gino. I must've said that to myself 40 times since I left rehearsal. It was true I don't like Gino. I shouldn't like Gino.

Aside from that...I kept asking myself if what Kendall said was true, if she actually believed it herself. Maybe from her perspective it seemed possible. Maybe me liking Gino and Gino liking me wasn't that impossible if you didn't know what had happened between us. But nobody knew.

Most people would want everyone to know when they had their first kiss. Most people would tell everyone, their mom their sister their best friend. But I didn't tell anyone. We both promised to keep it a secret. It just seemed easier that way because if we let it get out then it'd just be made into something much bigger than what it was, just a kiss. At least that's what Gino had said. But to me..it was my first kiss.

Just a month ago, on January 12th. I remember the exact day. It was really cold out and I had my big black professional looking ALDC jacket on. And a matching red scarf that tucked right under the jacket but could still be seen. I made my mom drop me off at the end of the street because if anyone else was getting there when I was, I didn't want her to embarrass me like she always did. The bottom of my black boots clicked away as I walked down the sidewalk toward the house. I hurried up the steps because it was literally 2 degrees and the wind was blowing everywhere. I poked out my hand quickly to ring the doorbell. It didn't work so I knocked on the door. After a few minutes I grew impacient. Nobody was coming and I was freezing. I knocked again but still nobody came.

"Hey what are you doing out here" somebody called out but I didn't recognize the voice. I turned around and saw him for the first time. He wore a black sweatshirt, jeans and timberlands. Nothing set him apart from most of the other boys I knew.

"You should knock. The bell doesn't work" he suggested to me while walking up the steps.

"Oh, yeah I tried that but nobody came so" I answered back moving out of the way so he could get on the porch. From Kalani's invite text that morning it seemed like we were having a girls night not a party with boys. I was suddenly glad that Mackenzie had tortured me into letting her do my makeup.

"Man it's freezing out here" he stated the obvious and when he turned to look at me I finally got a good glimpse of his face. He was cute.

"I'll just text Kalani to let us in" he pulled out his phone. I watched him.

After a few more seconds of freezing, someone finally opened the door. I saw the long brown hair and figured it was Kalani. But as usaual I was wrong cause it was Kendall.

"Hey dudes!" she yelled as we walked in, me going first. She gave me a huge side hug and I nervous laughed because she squeezed me so hard. Before realizing it she almost hugged the boy behind me.

"Wooooah, who are you" she said backing away from what would've been a hug.

He smiled a little before answering, "I'm Gino" he said it to both me and Kendall.

"Oh you're Gino. Well hello. I'm Kendall K and this here is Maddie" she introduced us both and I just smiled. Out of us, Kendall was clearly the talker and I was the more quiet one.

"Hey" he said looking at me. I wasn't sure if he was only talking to me or both of us so I just stood there like an idiot.

"Oh. Hi" I finally said back after a good two minutes. Kendall had left us in the mudroom with all the hiliker shoes to go help with something in the kitchen. From the smell I could tell it was a baking night.

"Looks like I'm the only guy here...again" until he spoke again I hadn't noticed he was still there. He laughed at himself, "That's what happens when your a male dancer."