Chapter 2. Bessie's Brothel

*Please vote or comment if you enjoy the story

*Please vote or comment if you enjoy the story. Thank you so much!

Artwork: The Bordello by Lee Dubin

Warmth instantly wrapped around him like a lover's embrace, pouring into every cavity of Luc's being, but the smell was terrible.

Overwhelmingly sweet scents mixed with several kinds of makeup and perfumes made him nauseous. The presence of tobacco and greasy food was strong on top of everything. An odd yet perfectly fitting concoction. Luc couldn't imagine the brothel any other way.

It was especially lively tonight. The Golden Twins were having their once-a-month special performance. Vulgar language and laughter that were thrown freely in the air from every corner couldn't mask the twin's beautiful voices. They both dressed to the nines in their elaborate costumes, flashing their pearly white teeth at the guests.

Barely seventeen years of age, they had come to the city from a piss-poor family down the Dumbarton countryside. With nothing but clothes on their backs and a big dream, the twins had started with an apprenticeship at the woodworking shop in the city center. Their seemingly bright future, however, had come to an abrupt end when a big commission job had come through and their master had decided to take all of the credit for their work, then kick them out penniless.

Things had been rough. Their pretty faces and feminine mannerisms had caught more trouble than good. With no jobs, no money, and no place to go, after a bad winter, the twins had ended up at Bessie's. This was their last hope. Bessie had given them the job to dress up and entertain guests in exchange for room and food. Whatever tips they made went to them. She didn't even force them to whore themselves out, but no one knew what they actually did. No one asked questions.

Luc knew Bart, the older one, had developed a drinking problem. That was why the twins couldn't seem to catch a break, even with all the fame and money they had earned. They liked Luc, or the generous tips he occasionally gave them when he was in the mood. They made it obvious by the constant winking and flirting anytime Luc was at the brothel.

Luc nodded at Bart and Barney when walking past the stage. He found Bessie in the middle of the crowd, laughing to her heart's content. Her enormous bosom was halfway out of the provoking red dress, shaking with her every movement. Her shoes were nowhere to be found and the woman's legs were exposed all the way to her upper thighs. It was hot in the room and Bessie was not the type of woman who worried too much about virtue.

Bessie could still be considered an eye candy in her forties. Her dark brown waves were put high up in a lovely bun and adorned with many silk flowers. A few loose strands falling down her fair neck looked almost tempting.

"Bessie, sweetheart, you look like a star!"

Luc came over and tipped his hat. The gesture had been done a million times over and never lost its charm. Female humans easily swooned over the vainest things and it always amused Luc. They yielded to his every demand whenever he flexed a little bit of his charm around them.

Bessie clearly was not an exception. Couldn't blame the woman when his physical form was this excellent. Tall and well-built, it was created in the image of a very attractive male human in his prime. The last thing he could do before his powers had evaporated. His hair color was a transition between honey gold and caramel. The pair of brilliant blue eyes twinkled every time he spoke, making Luc seem friendly and approachable. He had mastered a trademark vibe of both boyish and playful, yet sophisticated. If his appearance was the hook, his personality was the line to reel people in.

"I thought you might not come at all tonight!" Bessie pouted. "The weather is wretched so I wouldn't blame you, but Amelia would be so sad."

Bessie spoke in her sultry voice while dabbing her eyes dramatically with an ivory silk handkerchief as if there were actual tears. Luc laughed inwardly at the woman, but he picked up her chubby hand and caressed it.

"I know, my heart would be in pain if I didn't see you all," he emphasized on 'all'.

Bessie leaned back on the lounge chair and smiled coyly while eyeing Luc up and down. Everyone knew how valuable Amelia was to the brothel. The girl was the ace card, the golden goose. Her price was nearly tripled the other girls' and she was very selective about her customers.

Everything had a reason. Amelia was not the basic run-of-the-mill lass who could be easily found in a village or bought from the slave market at a cheap price. She chose this place and she was the whole package. Amelia had the look and the personality that kept rich and powerful men clinging to her skirt.

Luc was one of her regulars. Amelia had three at the moment that would visit her weekly, sometimes, several times a week. Bessie had let the girl set her own schedule and price as long as she paid her cut. It was extortionate, but safety and peace didn't come cheap.

While Luc and Bessie were talking, a delicate silhouette wrapped in silk descended from the upper floor. Amelia rarely left her room, but she came out for Luc. She had been waiting all evening and started to get impatient. Her emerald eyes sparkled when she saw him. The wavy raven-black hair wrapped around her oval face contrasted her fair skin perfectly. Her cheeks were flushed, either because of the heat, or the man who was smirking at her from across the room.

Luc's eyes darkened when they caught sight of Amelia and wandered her body openly. He didn't own her, but she belonged to him all the same. The room seemed to quiet down when everyone focused on the girl. She stood still like a lone rose on the stairs, barefoot in nothing but an almost translucent robe. Her shoulders and legs could be seen from under the cloud of blush-colored organza. She was perfect in every way and the men who were at the brothel could not control their lustful gaze.

Amelia browsed the room with a faint smile that made her look even more surreal, before getting back at Luc. She blinked slowly and played with the sash of her robe while fixing her eyes on him. After a minute, she turned around and left without saying a word. She didn't even look back but Luc could feel her invitation. Amelia was confident, cocky even, under her nonchalant façade. She knew he would play her game after the little bit she had just thrown out.

Luc gladly obliged. He had nothing better to do.

"I believe lovely Amelia wanted me to join her. It was as charming as ever talking to you, Bessie. I can't wait until next time."

He stood up and kissed Bessie's hand. The madam felt a rush she had rarely felt for years in her veins. Bessie giggled and slapped Luc's arm playfully.

"Yes, we don't want dear Amelia to wait, do we?"

She winked and Luc could almost see the dirty thoughts run through her mind. He chuckled. What a filthy creature, just like the rest of them. He fixed the lapel of his coat and turned around before Bessie pulled him back.

"I almost forgot, there will be new additions tonight. If you want to come out later for a look, you are welcome to do so, Master Luc. Maybe you could even find something you like."

"I doubt it. I already have what I like."

Luc's eyes went up to where Amelia had stood a moment ago. He could still smell her perfume lingering. Wiping his face, he pressed the familiar dark thoughts down and turned back to Bessie with a smile.

"Bring me something strong. The night is young."