Chapter 12. Amber fire

*Warning: This chapter contains mild, suggestive details that might trigger people who are victims of sexual assault

At first, Amelia thought it was a small pet.

Then she recognized the person.

The young girl looked somewhat better compared to the last time, but not by much. Her small face was still dirty. At least, it was clean of blood this time.

The girl poked her head out from one corner of the stairs' landing like a wild fox with her mane of red hair. She was young, definitely younger than Amelia. Her irises danced like two small fires, full of curiosity and something else hard to describe. Amelia couldn't make out the color, but the intense gaze made her sad, guilty, and all around, uneasy.

Suddenly, the young girl pulled back into the shadow. Luc must have watched her closely too because he immediately let go of Amelia and chased after the girl. He disappeared around the landing corner, and the floorboards upstairs creaked loudly under their hurried footsteps. Luc called out several times in a foreign language that Amelia had never heard before, and then all the noises stopped.

Amelia rooted there, dumbfounded by what had just happened.

"I hope everything is alright..." She mumbled to herself while bending down to pick up the bonnet and coat.

After a while, Luc came back down. His expression was unreadable. He stopped in the middle of the stairs with his eyes glued to the ceiling. "I'm afraid we will have to continue our conversation on a different day..." He said.

"Oh, don't worry. I want to do some shopping before tea time anyway," Amelia sighed with one foot already out the door, "Today is such a nice day to let go to waste."

Amelia didn't want to stay here any longer than she had to and participate in whatever this was. She had gotten what she came here for. Well,  unless... Luc especially requested. In that case, he'd better pay extra.

"Can I hail you a cab at least?" Luc said. "Albert has gone home for the day..." 

He looked obviously distracted with his head tilted up like a cat on a hunt.

Amelia exhaled sharply as the cold wind hit her face, "I'm a big girl, Luc." She fastened her bonnet and closed the door.

" She fastened her bonnet and closed the door