Chapter 18. Reflection

Albert's curses were muffled by the rain. They were mostly inaudible to human ears—Nothing besides a string of incoherent words under the man's breath—but Luc could hear them through the cushioned walls of his coach. Loud and clear.

Even the storm in him couldn't quiet them.

Luc tried to block Albert's worries and frustration out as he had always done with every chirp, cry, and bark of this filthy city. Albert had never been a man of eloquence, but he had never been this worked up either.

Luc exhaled and watched his frosty breath float up to the cabin's ceiling. He had been well aware of the connection between these two humans. They were among the few who haunted his life and head constantly.

Their mutual, nonverbal understanding had been the foundation behind Luc's decision to dump the girl on Albert's lap.

But should he?

The coach finally stopped. Luc lifted the curtain. In the night, the house took on the same shade as the trees, the road, and the sky. Muddy charcoal blue. Luc had never been too fond of its sunny coat anyway.

He stepped out of the coach and fixed his top hat. His eyes were glued to the dark windows on the upper level.

"You can go ahead, Albert," Luc said. "The air feels quite nice... I shall stay here for a bit and, uhm, smoke."

"Whatever ye said. Ye dinnae even have th' pipe on ye..." Albert grumbled as he walked past Luc.

Luc glared at the man's hurried silhouette. Albert flew to the front entrance—for lack of a better word—then slammed the door behind him.

Luc leaned against the coach's side and checked his inner pocket. Albert was right. He didn't have his pipe.

An unexplainable agony crept up in Luc's gut. The lump of muscles in his ribcage pumped so fast that it seemed to vibrate. Everything dulled away, but not nearly enough.

Luc stared at the steps in front of the house. He could have raced Albert—still could—but the very thought made him grimace. Luc didn't know he could hate himself a little more than usual.

When the cold air seeped into his wet coat, turning it to ice along with the small puddles on the road, Luc couldn't help but sigh again. He had listened to the horses grow more and more restless while staring up at the stars.

The rain had stopped. Everything seemed so high and clear now. Heaven was, of course, out of his reach.

What on Earth was he doing here?

What was wrong with him?

Albert had been inside for so long. The man was supposed to take the animals back to the stable a while ago. Damn Albert.

With the newfound justification to get upset, Luc stomped to the front entrance and yanked it open.

"Albert!" He called out. "The horses are freezing to death! You need to take them back to the stabl—"

Luc's complaint died as a pearl of soft laughter emitted from the living room. It poured into his soul like ice water, rattling him. It filled Luc with the thought that everything would be right in his world, and at the same time, nothing would.

Luc peeked his head into the living room. Albert was kneeling on the floor, making some puppets dance on the tea table to his rough folk tune. The man resembled a bear with his brown coat. Meanwhile, in front of Albert, the girl watched the performance attentively with her puffy eyes.

Her mouth curved up like a small crescent moon—much like the one Luc had seen briefly outside before the clouds shielded it away. She hugged her legs tightly and rested her head on her knees. Her copper hair fell on her shoulders, tangled.