✧ 15 ✧

𝟏𝟗𝟏𝟗: 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙋𝙧𝙚𝙨𝙚𝙣𝙩

𝟏𝟗𝟏𝟗: 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙋𝙧𝙚𝙨𝙚𝙣𝙩

      𝙄'𝙑𝙀 𝘽𝙀𝙀𝙉 𝙎𝙀𝙇𝙁𝙄𝙎𝙃. That was all Nellie could think as she sat across the table from Polly, who watched her with careful eyes, a cigarette perched between her fingers. The woman watched Nellie quietly, her head tilted, a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips.

She was amused. 

Nellie narrowed her eyes and scoffed. "Yes, Polly, laugh. Laugh at my pain."

Polly said nothing as her grin spread, her fingers lifting her cigarette to her mouth so she could pull a long drag. The silver smoke curled out of her mouth as she rested her hand against the table.

"You have brought this upon yourself, dear." Nellie snapped her head in Polly's direction, her scowl furious.

"Yes, I'm aware, Polly. I can't blame anyone but myself for my decisions." Nellie turned away, her foot tapping restlessly as her tea grew cold before her. It had only been a few hours since she was caught in bed with Arthur, and she had yet to see any of the Shelby men since. 

She couldn't imagine what Thomas must be thinking. Nellie's head dropped in shame, her hand covering her face as she quietly cursed herself for her stupid decision. 

"Tell me, dear," Polly said as she crushed her cigarette into a nearby ashtray, "why do you care what Tommy thinks?"

Nellie peeked between her fingers at Polly, who was waiting patiently for an answer. "What do you mean?" she asked as she lowered her hand.

Polly shrugged. "You slept with Arthur." Nellie's cheeks blossomed a deep red and she found it difficult to maintain eye contact with Polly. "You regret your decision, not because of how Arthur feels, but because of how Thomas feels."

Nellie straightened her back. Polly's words were...judgemental. She may have been smiling, but Nellie could see right through her display. "Arthur and I were drunk, Pol. I needed comfort and he...he showed up." Nellie looked away, her fingers rapidly drumming on the tabletop. "I regret it, but I do not feel sorry for Thomas catching us if that's what you're implying."

Polly raised a brow. "No? Is that not what you came in here to lament about? How angry Tommy was that he caught you in bed with his brother?"

Nellie's anger was quick to spike, though the woman kept her composure long enough to answer Polly. "I care about Thomas, but I will not spare his feelings, not when he has absolutely no regard for mine." Polly lifted her teacup to her mouth, her lips still pulled in a smirk even as she sipped. "He slept with the barmaid."