✧ 14 ✧

𝟏𝟗𝟎𝟑: 𝘼 𝘽𝙪𝙙𝙙𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙍𝙤𝙢𝙖𝙣𝙘𝙚

      𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐍𝐎𝐑 𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐘𝐍 𝐑𝐀𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐇 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐄𝐄𝐓𝐒 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐆𝐋𝐄𝐄𝐅𝐔𝐋 𝐆𝐈𝐆𝐆𝐋𝐄𝐒. The sounds of pounding footsteps followed after her as the Shelby and Allyn boys shouted for her to stop and to turn around. Nellie wasn't going to stop, though. She was nimble and agile, which made it very easy for her to outrun the boys.

Which in turn threw the blame for her mischievous actions onto the boys.

Behind them was old lady Martha, who was struggling to keep up with the much younger, much quicker children. The old woman was furiously waving around her broom, attempting to swat the young children as they ran away from her.

Nellie darted around a corner and rushed down the alley, disappearing from view just before the boys could round the corner. She had the lead now and disappeared into the boat moorings.

Nellie's chest heaved, and a bright grin spread across her face as she climbed into a covered sailboat. The young girl peeked from beneath the white cloth covering, hiding her giggles as she watched the boys rush past the mooring. About a minute passed before wheezing old Martha passed the mooring as well.

Satisfied that the boys had no clue where she was hiding, Nellie settled into the boat to catch her breath. She laid on her back, gazing at the dirty cloth above her head as she inhaled and exhaled slowly.

Minutes passed quickly, the sudden peace and quiet calming Nellie considerably. She let her eyes flutter shut, content to take a quick nap in the boat. Waves lapped against the mooring and birds cawed in the sky.

In the distance, clangs and shouts came from the bustling factories that sprouted along the streets of Small Heath. Nellie listened to the sounds around her, a soft smile curling her lips. She loved her town.

She loved running through the streets with her friends, making trouble everywhere they went much to the chagrin of the townsfolk. It was no secret that Nellie was virtually untouchable by all, so the young girl could practically do whatever she wanted.

Nellie smirked at the thought. There were a few people around town who dared to discipline the youngsters that were protected by their fathers' identities. Like old Martha, for instance. That old bat wouldn't hesitate to spank the Shelbys or Allyns if she was given the chance.

Luckily for the kids, she never got the chance.

Nellie settled into the boat, her thoughts distracting her. She was just on the verge of sleep when the white boat cover was suddenly thrown back, sunlight blinding the young girl as she jerked up with a gasp.