37 * Jealousy

©JRF2016

     We found our way over to highway sixteen. This road was clear, completely clear. Like someone had been through here and made sure it was clear for travel. We kept walking, I wasn't going to stop. I was determined to find my brother again.  Tony kept looking from the ground back up to me.  I would just glare back at him, I couldn't tell anymore if he was feeling guilty or if he was plotting against me. 

    It was starting to get late when we stumbled on this little house.  There was trash all around it and a couple dead walkers laying on the ground outside.  I looked around for any sign of people but didn't see anyone.  "Someone was here.  They killed those creepers and they'll probably come back and kill us.  We need to find somewhere else to stay for the night."  Tony argued with me.  "It's too late to try and find somewhere else.  This'll have to do.  I can take care of myself if anyone comes back, can you?"  He just stared at me.  I walked up to the front door and it was unlocked.  Not to surprising since no one stayed in one place long enough to need to lock doors.  Walkers can't open them.  I sat there in the middle of the floor keeping my eyes on Tony.  I didn't trust him anymore and I couldn't sleep because of that.  I sat there and watched him sleep.

    I was startled awake by voices outside.  I didn't even realize I had fallen asleep.  Tony was unfazed by any of it.  I reached over a slapped him across the head.  I was angry at him still and I used that opportunity.  "Ow, what'd you hit me for?"

"Get up asshole.  There's people outside."  As he stood to his feet I crept over to the window and I couldn't stop the smile that grew on my face.  I ran passed Tony pushing him out of the way and he fell backward to the floor.  I ran out the door and up to my brother wrapping my arms around him making him startle a little.  He grabbed my shoulders and pushed me back.  As soon as he could see my face he pulled me back.  "Rox, I'm so glad you're okay."  Rick and Carol joined in the embrace as Tony walked around the corner of the house.  Daryl pulled away from me and raised his crossbow to Tony as did Rick and Carol.  The three of them stood there with their weapons pointed at this man that I once loved with all my heart.  I reached over and pushed Rick's gun and Daryl's crossbow down.  "He's alright.  He's with me." 

"Some people took us in.  They've got a huge wall, houses, hot water," Carol paused and looked at me as I stared at her in shock, "Yeah, we've all had showers."

"Even my nasty ass bro?"  I laughed as I shoved Daryl.  Carol nodded before adding, "After I threatened to hose him down in his sleep."  Tony stood there watching the four of us without a word.  Rick kept staring at me with a grin on his face and Tony seemed to get angry when he saw how Rick was looking at me.   Daryl slung his arm over my shoulders, "Come on lil sister, let's get ya home where you belong."

    Once inside it didn't take much convincing for Deanna to welcome me.  Mainly because I was Daryl's blood and family needs to stick together.  She interviewed me and Tony still but she walked away from that interview with Tony looking really unsure.  "What the hell did you say to her?"  I whispered to him.  He shrugged, "I didn't say anything really, I just answered her questions."

"If you mess around and screw this up I ain't goin' with ya.  My brother's here and I ain't leavin' 'im." 

"That Rick guy's here too," he snorted at me.

"What the hell's that got to do with anything?"

"I seen the way you two were looking at each other.  You screwing him?"

"So what if I am, it ain't like we're together anymore.  That was a long time ago.  We were just kids and you left me."  He huffed and walked off toward the houses where Rick and the group were staying.  Carol walked up and led me inside showing me where my room was and the glorious bathroom with that wonderful hot, steamy shower.