24 * Scars That Don't Heal

©JRF2016

Daryl followed her into the church and watched her sit in that corner again. She slid down the wall resting her head on her knees not making any eye contact with anyone. It didn't take long before she was asleep. Daryl walked over and sat down beside his baby sister. He put his hands on her shoulders and eased her down onto his lap. She flinched a little but didn't wake up. He sat there stroking her hair, a gesture that always put her at ease. What kind of big brother was he? He couldn't protect her. Not from their father. Not from anyone. "How is she," Rick asked as he sat down beside them, "Did she talk to you?" Daryl kept his eyes on his sister and shook his head. The two men sat there staring at her. She actually looked peaceful but it didn't last long. Her breaths began to get shallow and fast, she was soon gasping for air. Rick began to get worried but Daryl stayed calm. He glanced up at Rick, "It'll pass. Just a nightmare that occurs from time to time."

The gasps coming from his little sister's room scared the hell out of him. He walked in to check on her but had no idea what to do to help her. She's done this ever since that fire. Somehow she was saved from those flames while their mother was devoured by them and Daryl was going to make sure that nothing else happened to his baby sister. He picked her up and cradled her in his arms, stroking her hair, and she instantly started calming down. "You make a purty good mama there Darylina," Merle joked.

"Shut up." Merle just laughed harder as he walked over and took the little girl from his brother. "We gotta watch out for this little one baby brother." Daryl nodded as Merle handed her back.

They had been sitting there in silence for a while now, neither of them moving. "Hey Rick," Daryl finally spoke, "Keep an eye on her, will ya? I gotta take a piss." Rick smiled and gave him a slight nod. He slid over holding her head gently and sliding under her. He sat there staring at her face noticing the dried tears on her cheeks. He brushed his hand across her face. What he wouldn't give to make all her hurt go away right now. He was starting to feel things for her and it wasn't just sadness for what she had been through.

"Hey Rox," Daryl called through the house. He had been gone for two weeks this time and he actually missed having his bratty little sister follow him around. He walked to her bedroom door and eased it open to see her curled up on her bed. He could make out her faint sniffles. "Roxie what's wrong?" She jerked herself up in the bed and tried to wipe away her tears without him seeing. She had a black eye. "What the hell?" He walked over and lifted her chin to get a better look. "I fell Dee. I'm okay, it's really not that bad." He looked at her in disbelief but didn't push the issue. He knew their father was probably responsible but she didn't say another word about it. "Dee," she said looking into his eyes, "Are you going to be home for a while?" He smiled as he pulled her into one of his tender hugs. Later that night she hugged him before going to bed and whispered, "Will you stay with me in my room?" He lay beside her and waited for her to drift off to sleep before climbing into his sleeping bag on the floor next to her bed. He was awakened by her gasping an hour later and he crawled onto the bed next to her and ran his fingers down the length of her hair. She settled down soon after and he drifted off to sleep still laying beside her.

Rick leaned his head against the wall letting out an exasperated sigh when Roxanne started gasping for air again. Unsure of what to do he looked at her and almost started to yell for Daryl when he remembered what Daryl had told him. He started running his hand from the crown of her head down the length of her hair. It slowly seemed to calm her down and Rick felt that relief wash over him. Unknowingly, Daryl was standing a few feet away and watching, "Hmmm, Hmmm." Rick looked up at him, "You did good, Rick. Almost as good as I could've done myself." Rick smiled back at Daryl before starting to switch places. Daryl shook his head, "Naw, you stay with her. Don't wanna move her too much and wake her up. She needs rest more than anything right now." Rick eased back into position still running his fingers through her long, brown hair as Daryl sat next to him. "So this thing, uh, nightmare," Rick said still keeping his eyes on Roxanne, "She's done this for a while?" Daryl nodded. "Since the fire that burnt up our mom. She was in the room with her when it started but firemen pulled her out, too late for ma. It's like she relives bein' trapped in that smoky room every time somethin' bad happens to her and she wasn't even old enough to remember it." Rick looked up at Daryl now. The pain he felt for her was showing in his eyes.

Roxanne slowly opened her eyes. She felt the strong but gentle hand on her head but she knew it wasn't her brother this time. She turned her head enough to see Rick staring at her with his pale blue eyes and gentle smile. She quickly sat up staring at the two men sitting in front of her. Rick reached out and put a hand on her shoulder to pull her closer to him but she jerked away. "Don't," she said softly, "Just don't." Rick withdrew his hand and leaned back against the wall, his eyes never leaving hers. The brusies on her face were healing up nicely but the scars on her heart and her brain weren't going away as easily and it hurt Rick knowing that there was nothing he could do to help her with that pain. There was nothing he could do to make it better. He glanced over at Daryl and saw the same hurt in his face. "No, I don't want to talk about it," Roxanne spoke as she stared at her brother and Rick. They didn't offer any type of response and she slid herself back against the wall making sure to put plenty of space between herself and Rick. The thought of any man touching her in any way right now made her skin crawl. She shivered. Rick noticed and started to wrap an arm around her for some warmth. She jerked away and stared at him, 'Don't." He nodded and slid another six inches away from her.