CHAPTER ONE

Adelyne's POV

The first thing I did when I was awoken was blink slowly. Very slowly.

This was new. I was new. I was on some kind of ship, sitting in a circle in light and delicate robes in a circle with several others as well. We were all waking up at the same time, almost as if we were in a deep sleep. I took in a massive breath, seeing the air going in and out of my lungs to show me I was alive. My mind was already filled with pondering questions and observations as I looked at each of the other passengers on our ship. It was dark, yet it was a soothing sensation as well. Almost as if I was part of this ship.

Were we?

The others were speaking to one another, almost meeting one another formally. They were like me, Eternals that were there to fight Deviants that threatened life on planets all over the universe. I was quiet at first, almost reading the room for a moment to two as I watched the rest of our group talk to another. It was intriguing to see, some of them more excited to meet others, while others were more reluctant I knew I was the latter, especially when a beautiful woman walked over to me. Her hair was shoulder-length, blonde, cascading down her shoulders and back with a warmth in her skin and her grey steel eyes. She smiled at me, having me feel as though I could trust her and I could follow her anywhere.

"I am Thena." She said to me. Her voice was warm and it rolled as if it was water over pebbles. I smiled at her as she waited for me to say my name. I paused for a moment, almost flustered to talk to her as I finally spoke.

"I'm Adelyne." I introduced myself. She smiled so widely, almost as if she was proud I said my name to her. She placed her hands on my arms, a small feeling of heat was placed where she was touching. It felt like she was trying to calm me from a simple touch.

"I sense uneasiness in you." She explained, having me grimace a bit since I would instantly tell she could read me like a book. But nothing was showing on her face that she was going to scold me, nor was she going to tell me something that was going to make me afraid. Instead, she was analyzing me with her eyes and all I could see was peace, both peace and tranquility.

"You are meant to be here." She said to me sounding so warm and so sure of herself, "You are part of us."

Her words rang in my mind and floated through me. All through my veins, and within me. Before this moment, I felt as though I was on the outside of this group, of these Eternal beings. I didn't know why I felt this way, yet it was simmering beneath my skin. Yet it was already forgotten from a few simple words from our warrior, from someone who barely knew me.

I looked over, seeing out of the large window on the other side of the room a view of the planet. I was entranced, moving away from Thena and walking to the window. The others were talking around me, yet I wasn't paying attention to them as I was watching the planet floating out in space amongst the stars. There were different colors of blue and green, swirls of clouds along the surface making beautiful patterns and unique shapes.

It took my breath away. The planet was absolutely perfect.

I felt as though someone was watching me, almost another set of eyes were lingering on me.  It didn't feel threatening, but I was intrigued.  I looked over to my right, seeing man, almost a giant, with a wide smile and a gentle stature about him. I looked up at him briefly since he was so tall and he grinned at me. 

"I am Gilgamesh." He introduced himself, holding out a hand for me to shake. His voice was warm, soothing and kind with an earthy tone. I smiled at him, shaking his hand. "I wanted to introduce myself to you since you were here alone."

"I'm Adelyne." I said to him, seeing his smile grow slightly larger from hearing my name. "It's pleasure to meet you." He gave a small slight bow to me, having me feel a slight blush on the top of my ears from his gesture.

"You as well, Adelyne." Gilgamesh replied. "And I bet you already know, Thena."

"Yeah. She's the first one." I said. "And she was very nice to me." I admitted.

"Yes, she is." Gilgamesh agreed. "Come on, let's meet the others."

As I walked away with a new friend, I looked behind me one more time to the planet.  I was new to this world, to this ship, and with these people.  We all were, yet we were already feeling some kind of connection with one another.  Perhaps it was how it was meant to be, how we were meant to be with one another.