Call2

"Hey."

"Hey."

"You called me."

"And you picked up."

"Did you think I'd ignore you?"

"With the way you ended the call last night, yeah."

He sighs. "I'm not mad at you, Alexander. Maybe a little disappointed, but I'm not mad."

"I'm sorry. This is new for me and I-"

"Don't worry, I get it."

"Are... Are you home yet?"

He sighs heavily. "No. My dad had me go to this place to...work. for our family business. I don't know when I'll be back."

"Okay."

"Do you miss me?"

"I-"

"And don't lie, Alex. Just be honest with yourself. I'm the only one listening."

"...Yes. I miss you."

"I miss you too." He sighs. "I have to go for a minute. I'll call you back?"

"Okay."

He hangs up. I stare up at the ceiling, wait ten minutes. Then thirty, then an hour. Then I fall asleep.

...

I jolt awake to the ringing of my phone, Greene is calling. Before I answer I check the time. 1:03am.

"Hey."

"Hmm."

"Were you sleeping?"

"Hmm."

He laughs. "My bad. Guess I'll call later."

"No! No, I'm awake now." I rub my eyes, looking at the gap between my curtains. A sliver of moonlight shines into my room, making it a little easier to see.

"I really want to see you again," Greene practically whispers.

"Miss me that much?" I laugh. But he doesn't laugh along.

"Yeah. I don't think you understand, Alex. You're stuck in my head-"

"I think about you too. All the time. I lied when I said I never think about those kisses, they're literally all I think about."

He's quiet for a moment.

"Are you thinking about them now?"

"I'm thinking about a lot right now. It all involves you."

He lets out a shaky breath. "I wonder why we didn't talk for so long."

"I was okay with the idea of admiring you from a far."

"Are you saying you think I'm hot?"

"Maybe."

"What else do you think about me?"

"Stop fishing for compliments, dumbass."

He laughs. "I thought you were hot when I first saw you, too. I also immediately thought you were gay."

"What-"

"You wore a polo neck and slacks. I'm not saying that's a gay outfit, just... In that moment, you looked hella gay." He laughs for a while. "don't be offended, Alex"

"I'm not offended."

"I can feel you glaring at the wall."

I stop glaring at the wall.

"Fuck you."

"Yes." He moans, "Literally."

"Shut up."

"You're all flustered, aren't you?"

"No."

He hums, and I hear a door open.

"What are you doing up at two in the morning?" I ask.

"Couldn't sleep, so I went for a walk. I just got back into my room."

"Are you in a different country or something?"

"No, still in sunny Ridgewood."

I hear another door open, and a lot of shuffling. "Stay on the line, let me brush my teeth real quick," he says, and I hear a noise which I assume is him placing the phone down.

After a few minutes, he speaks.

"Alex, you there?"

"Mhm."

"You were falling asleep, weren't you?"

I laugh, "almost."

"I should let you go back to sleep."

"No stay on, just... Let me hear your voice."

"...You're being real romantic for someone who doesn't 'swing that way' "

"Shut up."

"There's nothing wrong with it, Alexander."

"I know."

"Do you?"

"I know."

"..."

"Why were you named Greene?"

He sighs. "My grandma, on my dad's side, she married a second husband after my grandpa died. His name was Greene. Even though they weren't blood relatives, my dad was very close to him. So he named me after him after he died."

"Did you ever meet him?"

"No. My grandpa died before I was born and I was too young when my grandma and Greene died. I don't remember a thing."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I guess Greene is a weird name, huh."

"It's different. I've never heard it anywhere else."

"While I know like sixty other Alex's."

"Shut up."

He laughs out loud, and starts telling me more about himself, and all the places he's been to as a kid. I notice how he steers the conversation away from his family when I bring it up, but I decide not to push him or confront him about it.
We talk until well after the sun has risen, until the birds start chirping outside my window.

...

COMMENT💖💖💖