Coming Out

"Alex."

"Are you okay?" I quickly take in the sight of him. He's wearing a black long sleeved t-shirt and black sweatpants, and bruises are scattered all over his face, his lips, down his neck. And his knuckles are bruised.

"What are you doing here."

"I just... I just wanted to check up on you. You didn't come for any of the finals and you were ignoring me and-"

He grabs my hand, dragging me down the driveway towards his car.

"Greene-"

"Get in." He says, unlocking the passenger door.

"Where are we going?"

He ignores me, hopping into the driver's side and bringing the car to life. Quickly I open the door and enter the car, watching him carefully. His brows are gathered into a deep frown, and his left eye is slightly discolored. It's clear he was in a fight.

We drive down the road, past the city and to my realization, towards the beach. I don't dare speak to him, with the look on his face right now. I decide to hold off my questions until we get to our destination. The sun is setting by the time we get there, the sky a mixture of pinks and oranges.

Greene exists the car and walks ahead of me, straight towards the shore. When I finally catch up to him, he's standing close to the water, staring out to sea.

"Greene."

It takes him a moment to look at me, still frowning. The wind blows his obsidian hair in every direction, but he doesn't brush it out of his face. He just looks at me. The way he looked at me in class.

"Talk to me, Greene."

"I... I don't know what to say."

"You can start by telling me where you've been this whole month. Why you've been ignoring me the whole time, and what happened to your face-"

"I can't."

"You can't?" A wave of water splashes around our bare feet, making me shiver.

"I'm not supposed to tell anyone."

"What is this secret you're not telling me? Louise keeps saying-"

"Woah," he reaches for my arm. "What did Louise tell you?"

"Nothing. She told me nothing, and that's the problem. She says you're supposed to be the one to tell me, but I'm getting impatient and-"

"Alex."

"-and I'm sick and tired if not knowing, like what is it? And why does Louise keep warning me about your dad-"

"Alex."

"What."

"Listen to me." He walks a good distance away from the water, far enough that it won't reach us. He sits on the soft white sand, and I follow suit.

"I... I don't think we should keep talking."

"What?"

He's not serious.

"I think... I think we should just- cut off all ties. We've talked, we've kissed, had fun. I think it's time we end this before it goes any further."

He can't be serious.

"You're joking, right?"

He only looks at me, something sad  in his eyes.

"I don't see you for days, weeks, and when I finally do you're telling me it's been fun while it lasted, now fuck off?"