°× FOUR ×°

Tw - Self harm, Suicide, major character death because I can.
plot - schlatt decides to off himself on Wilbur's birthday. Angsty

this one is actually not a pre prepared note lmao

-------

"Happy Birthday Wilbur! You're 18 now!"
The confetti fluttered around the room, landing in a whir of colour which will only be a struggle to clean after. A happily loud cheer of applaud comes from the small group of people at the party. Wilbur's 18th birthday. He'd been waiting for this so long. Finally he could do so many things he couldn't before.
But something felt wrong. Something was off. The inevitable feeling was supposed to go away, he thought it was nerves, but it didn't. Something was missing but he couldn't put his finger on it. A small bead of sweat appeared on his already pale enough forehead. The room was far too warm for his liking. There's only one person who likes rooms this warm-
oh
that's what's wrong
Schlatt, his best friend of 6 years hasn't arrived. Thats what was missing. His annoyingly loud laughter, his unbearable teasing, his adorable wagging tail whenever Wilbur called him 'princess'.
Wilbur had to admit, he loved that man. And him not being there for his birthday made him a little sad but it's schlatt, he probably has something to do. It's not like he had  to come to his birthday party. He probably has a reasonable excuse. Wilbur would ask later through text, since that was the best course of action.
He walks to the edge of the small mingling group, taking out his phone and scrolling through tik tok mindlessly. His non thinking clicking, tapping and scrolling was disturbed by a call
"Oh- Dad I'm gonna go take this call okay?"
Phil turns to glance at Wilbur
"yeah go ahead mate"
Wilbur hurries away and picks up
"Schlatt! Hey! you didn't come to the party?"
A quiet and shaky sob was heard from the other end
"Schlatt?..."
"Hm- I'm sorry... i- I couldn't make it..."
Wilbur panics at the clear sad tone in his voice
"Nonono- it's fine! don't worry! how're you?"
Wilbur's worry was evident in the sudden reaction he had given
"Fuck.. Wilbur?"
The ram obviously wasn't okay, so Wilbur took that as his cue to be a good friend
"What's up? I'm here to listen. Is it your parents again? I swear I'll get Phil to get you out of there-"
"no Wil... its fine... no need...you won't have to do anything for me again"
"what do you mean... Schlatt please- stop being an idiot- don't do anything dumb-"
"Wilbur... I'm really.. really sorry that I'm doing this on your birthday but... but I can't-"
the last few words came out in a pained sob
"Schlatt- where are you."
"Happy birthday by the way Wil... have fun without me..."
"Schlatt- please no- keep talking I'm on my way-"
He was hung up on.
oh god no
Wilbur grabbed his shoes, put them on in a rush and dashed for the door
"Wil? where are you going?-"
"Not now dad! I'm saving someone from making a stupid mistake"
By now, Wilbur eyes were full of tears and blurry. His body was bursting with adrenaline. He couldn't lose him. No. He didn't want to. He was all he had.
He ran as fast as his poorly athletic legs could take him all the way to schlatt's house.
"Please no- please tell me this is a cruel joke-"
He checks the doorknob on the front door... its open...
He runs through the house, up the stairs and to schlatt's room.
He hesitates at the handle
"Please... please be okay"
He opens the door
"..."

5 years later

"schlatt... you're such a moron you know that right?"
The breeze blows through the tree, a small whistling noise weaving in and out of each leaf
"God if it wasn't for me- you'd still be here"
Wilbur glances at the small stone grave with a mossy gloss, wiping his eyes.
"Yknow, I should've noticed earlier... you didn't have a cat and I should've realised that at the time"
a small laugh escapes his chapped, cherry stained lips
"..."
he sighs shakily, slowly kneeling down beside the grave, glancing at the words that he himself had chosen to be carved into it, since his family didn't care enough.
Motherfuckers. Their son just killed himself and the least those high, selfish assholes could've done was help out with the funeral, help out with the grave, help out with him so this wouldn't have happened in the first place. If they had noticed. If they had cared. If they had even cast a glance towards him... everything would've been okay. He'd be here. He'd be happy. Everything would be fine.
"I love you... so so much...and I miss you..."
He wants to tell him. He wanted to tell him. Tell him that day. That damned day. That he loved him. He couldn't. He ran out of time. He didn't want his time to be over yet, but he was too slow. God how he wishes he had said it earlier.
"Im... I'm sorry..."
Tears dripped down from Wilbur's cold, red tinted cheeks, falling down onto the gravelled dirt, supplying it with more water than it had received in the last few years. His hands tremble and shake as his head leans towards the grave. He must be looked insane from afar, but it was worth it. He had to feel close to him some way
"Im sorry... I just... I need you... so so much... please... why did you leave me..."
All he wanted was a few words.
I'm sorry Wil, I had to.
There is it again. For the past few months, Wilbur had been hearing his voice and seeing him. He didn't tell his therapist until last session. He couldn't bring himself to ignore it
" I know..."
Wilbur, you've gotta stop doing this. It's not healthy. I'm dead, you're gonna have to deal with it.
"I know... I know just... let me enjoy this a bit more..."

He did. He enjoyed it. He wanted to see him again.

"Wilbur?"
"Yeah?"
"And... how did his death affect you?"
Wilbur glanced behind his therapist. A ghostly apparition of schlatt standing there, shaking his head.
"Badly... I see his ghost a lot..."
"Mm...hallucinations?"
"Yeah... I think..."
"Wilbur...im gonna need you to be honest with me"
"Go on?"
"...If you could tell him one thing... and then move on... what would it be?"
"..."
"It'd be.... i dont know..."
"When you're ready to say goodbye... say it will you?"
"mhm..."

"..."
"I love you schlatt....always have always will... I hope you rest easy... you deserve it"
a small smile appears on his face
He turns to look at where schlatt stood
thank you. I love you too.

A thousand words never said. A thousand touches never felt. A thousand thoughts never shared... and yet... maybe it'll be okay... as long as he rests... and as long as I remember him... it'll be fine.

-----
The end :D
I forced myself to write 1000 words aha
criticism will be taken gladly