17 || Abandonment

I squeezed past a couple of customers as I made my way back into the kitchen with an empty tray. My head snapped back to door as I heard it ring open. The customer with braids from the day previous entered, though I thought it would be Iroh. It was evening now and dark but he had still yet to show at work.

"Should we be worried?" I whispered.

"About what?" He whispered back, raising an eyebrow.

I turned my head around, checking for any people near us, "Iroh. He still isn't here, it's almost dark."

Zuko's eyes examined the shop, "He's not here yet?"

"No, just that girl walked in." I said pointing. Zuko's eyebrows sharpened for a moment, almost as if he were suspect of the girl.

"We should give it another hour or so." Zuko replied. I laughed under my breath at how Zuko became the reasonable one out of no where, with me being the paranoid one.

I walked my way back over to the prepared tea, waiting to be served. I stacked my tray and made my way over to table three. Before I'm able to make my way over, I bumped into a customer.

"Oh! Sorry, I'm a little clumsy today." The girl said. It was the girl from yesterday with the braids, the one who just walked in.

My ears pulled back, "No! No its okay, I should've looked before turning." I conclude, tucking a hair behind my ear. She giggled and played with her braid lightly, "Oh uh, sorry, are you ordering? By chance maybe? I mean duh of course, you're at the tea shop. Not in a rude way though! I'm just assuming that uh, would you like to order?" I clear my throat.

"Yes! Uh, yes I am. Table four, just a jasmine." She said as she smiled, "For Jin."

I nodded and smiled back, "Okay then, it'll be out soon!"

Finally, I made my way to table three. The table was occupied by two Ba Sing Se enforcers, who were regulars on the days their job occupied around our area.

"Jasmine! Nice choice." A familiar voice says from behind me.

I snapped my head around quickly, meeting faces with Iroh, "You're back!" I exclaim.

Iroh laughed as he tied his apron, "I am. How is the shop? The tea still tasting good?"

He began to take the tea pot from my serving tray, pouring the men their tea as he waited for my response, "So far, so good I would say." I stated, noticing Zuko come out with the dirties tray. His eyes trailed over to Iroh, acknowledging his presence.

"This is the best tea in the city." One of the men says as Iroh finishes pouring their cups.

"The secret ingredient is love." Iroh says with a gentle smile, which causes Zuko to roll his eyes. I giggle to myself as Iroh steps away over to Bo's father.

Before I'm able to ask Zuko if he needs help, the door is slammed open, causing everyone in the shop to turn and gasp, and the decor on the walls to shutter.

"I'm tired of waiting!" The voice who slammed the door open yelled. It was Jet, "These two men are firebenders! Step back Kyi!" He yelled, leaving me out of it due to water benders not being forbidden from Ba Sing Se. Quickly, he took out his duel swords and prepared to fight.

I saw Iroh's face grow concerned as Zuko's grew angry. How did I forget about Jet? Why did I no longer feel his presence? Was I not focusing enough?

"What are you talking about?" I question, stepping in front of the two of them.

"I know they're fire benders, I saw the old man heating his tea!" Jet yelled. My mind flashed back to the train station. The cold tea, Jet saw.

"He works in a tea shop." One of the enforcer men say plainly.