March of the Oni

Wooo, another chapter! I was deciding if I should just write all of March of the Oni in one chapter, but this ended up being over 8000 words so.... there's gonna be another chapter after this even though I said this was going to be the last chapter.

So in this chapter, I put in some of my own headcanons for the Oni.  We don't really know much about them, considering they just appeared in season 10 and were defeated in Endings. I've included Aversia, Nemesis and Loki as the names of the Oni of Hatred, Vengeance and Deception, respectively, in this chapter. They were just names I thought of on the spot because I didn't want to keep referring to them as 'the Oni' throughout the chapter

Summary:
The Ninja were content with relaxing after the defeat of the Sons of Garmadon, but there was little time for a break. A new darkness was rising, spreading across the land in search of something that once was rightfully theirs.

I didn't know what song to reference as the title, since I listened to a lot while writing, so I kept the title as 'March of the Oni' for simplicity.

Enjoy the chapter!

--------------------------

It was a rare day in Ninjago, in the sense that it would be a normal day if this was any other country.  The sun was shining brightly overhead, with a few fluffy clouds drifting past on wind gusts.  The sky was bright blue and the air was warm.  It truly was a beautiful day.

The Monastery was lively.  Monks were walking around, some painting a mural dedicated to the Ninja's adventures throughout the past several years while others were working on some final repairs.

In a back room, a solitary figure trained, as silent and powerful as the element he commanded.

Opening the door wouldn't let the carefully contained breezes escape.  Morro had been honing his powers for at least half a century now, if he included all those years in which he was dead.  While he hated being the Preeminent's second in command, he would admit that she made sure that he wasn't slacking off in training.  Letting a single breeze escape would be embarrassing, especially since he wasn't the only Elemental Master who lived in the Monastery now.

With his eyes closed and breathing even, Morro swept his arms up in a pinwheel motion, stepping forward in a lunge.  With a graceful flick of his hand, a sharp gust of wind broke away from the cocoon that surrounded his body, slamming into one of the ceramic targets set up in front of him.  The white and gold plate shattered on impact, sending shards flying across the room, joining the whirling cyclone.

Humming under his breath, Morro spun in a circle, still keeping an air of grace and lightness about him despite his movements being ones typically used in battle.  The beginnings of a calm and genuine smile formed on his face as he trained.  The sensation of tugging at the corners of his lips was unfamiliar.

He leapt into the air, hovering for a moment, arms outstretched like the wings of a phoenix, gusts of wind swirling around by his palms.  Below him, the cyclone still churned and howled, with occasional flashes of white and gold from the plates.

Morro landed on the ground, exhaling sharply as he landed a particularly rough punch on the training mats.  The winds blew out in a radius around him, shattering what remained of the targets and sending the shards flying into the walls.

When he felt the air still, he rose, a satisfied smile on his face.  The smile quickly faded when he saw how the shards had cut jagged marks into the walls, how some of it flew through the bamboo and paper screen door that separated his room from the hallway.  Judging by the yelp of surprise that sounded no later than the wind blast occurred, Morro assumed that he was across from Jay's room.