Game of the Goddess

With mild interest, I watched Cynthe messily gobble down my Lycaethian sandwiches. She definitely had an appetite, all right. It was no surprise though as Cynthe looked exhausted after her adrenaline-dumped encounter with the yeti. An encounter would with one would do more than just slightly tire anyone. Yet I felt there was more to her weariness than just the adrenaline rush.

Back when the yeti had launched itself towards the girl, a faint treble resonated through my body as air shimmered slightly with an energy thick and heavy. Traces of a mighty, somewhat tangible power emanated from her. A deep, slumbering magic, almost sentient. Something told me she hadn't needed my help at that moment. Although technically of course, I kind of did save her.

If I hadn't found her, she would of gotten lost wondering the mountains alone to almost certainly die. Then again, it was my fault for letting her go without supervision, I should have known better. I knew what was out there. Finding her had been tricky, many times I thought I lost her as I had tracked her across the imposing mountains.

Hopefully she trusted me now after having helped her. Or maybe she instead trusted me less. After all, my three throwing knives had, for a brief moment, all been simultaneously flying through the air, before accurately striking their mark one after the other. No regular person throws knives like that.

It was time to tell her. "Have you been wondering why you haven't managed to reach Melintha yet?" "Yes I have" she answered. I took deeper breath. "I think something happened between when you first entered and later exited the Holy Basilica. Or as you called it, the Olden Basilica." "What do you mean?" "Serana is a mysterious and powerful goddess. When you stepped out the church, I bet you had been transported to the Other Side" "What other side?" "The Other Side. The other side of the mountains".

Cynthe frowned for a moment, processing a thought. "You don't mean the other side of the Melatic mountains? Aren't the mountains endless?" "They are indeed extremely vast. It is impossible for us by foot to track across them to the other side. Not even birds make it over. However there is another side to it. Don't worry too much about it for now" I said trying to sound more reassuring. "Follow me and I'll lead you out of these mountains."

We walked in silence as I lead her down the tops. She probably had too many questions to even know where to begin. All too soon for my sake however, nightfall had approached us. In the dim light, I could tell Cynthe was struggling even to stay on her feet. I had been keen on getting out of the hostile mountains before nightfall, but why not rest here after all? There were dangers still lurking around the area worse than simple yetis but we'd be fine, surely?

"Cynthe?" I asked her. "Hmm?" "Could you use your light magic a little bit please?" "M'kay". I shielded my eyes as the snow glaringly reflected her light back at me. As my eyes got more accustomed, I made my way towards a ledge with a heap pile of snow and started digging. "We'll be spending the night under the snow here". She stood by watching me as I dug out a little cave, making annoyingly no attempt to help. She had also turned off her light, but that's okay. Now that I had found a good place to dig, the stars and moon provided more or less sufficient light.

After Cynthe crawled into our makeshift snow cave, I covered the entrance with snow. There was no need to worry about air, I had punctured vents throughout the cave so we could breath, resting safely from what roamed out there.

Cynthe's entire hand was glowing very faintly in the dark. It was enough light for me to see, as I dug out a shelf. Cynthe observed as I removed blade after a blade from inside my cloak and placed them on said shelf. I proceeded to remove two pairs of knives strapped to each thigh. Two master-crafted long blades. They both shone in the dark with a barely distinguishable glow. My precious favorites. But also two shorter daggers came out. With a metallic clatter, I placed them onto what she could only consider a now alarmingly large pile of blades. My damp gloves were thereafter taken off and laid on top.

"You're freezing" Cynthe stated. "Huh?" "Your hands are all pale". "Oh". I hadn't realized I was cold. She sure had peculiarly good eyesight in this dark. Whatever. Not bothering to answer, nor paying any attention to any cold, I released a small sigh and rested my head against my backpack. Cynthe seemed to hesitate for a moment and then laid down beside me resting her head on my backpack too, head right beside mine. The glow from her hand extinguished. I could feel her body shivering. I realized the poor thing was cold too. I could tell she had slept earlier throughout the morning with magic heating her. Cold wind had been blowing at her then without effect. Now was different.

I realized her magic must've been too depleted for her to keep herself magically warm after today's encounter with the yeti and our long journey. I felt bad about asking her to use her light magic. It must've been exhausting. I had already pushed her too far. Come to think of it, her clothes didn't look particularly warm against the outside chill either.

I wrapped my cloak around us as a blanket. Under it's protection, Cynthe turned her face towards me and burrowed it up against the crevice of my neck. My cheek fell against her head. Her steady breath was warm against my skin. I savored this fleeting moment. She was weak. The pillow of a backpack barely had enough space for us both. This wouldn't last. In the morning she would wake up appalled at the thought of having slept so close together with a dangerous killer.

With the lullaby of Cynthe's steady breathing playing, my mind allowed itself to be carried back to a different time. As she slept, I thought about what could have been now, and what could of been done then. I feared moving my head, less she wake up. Without track of time, I laid there throughout the night, wrapped up in thought.

At some point in time I heard Cynthe's breath breaking rhythm. She had woken up. I lay completely still. Waited. Soon she fell back to sleep. I felt relief. What if she woke up and came to her senses. Horrified at being cuddled up against someone like me. Alone in a claustrophobic snow cave. My heart sank as I did what I must. I should probably maintain a somewhat good relationship with her. 

Ever so carefully, without waking her up, I moved away and felt my way through the dark, towards a corner by the entrance of the long, narrow cave, at a respectable distance from Cynthe. It was the darkest dark. The only sound came from the sleeping girl. I curled up and rested my back against the wall and waited for morning come.