chapter 1 - stormy night

Hvitur's whole body ached. The IceWing had been flying nonstop for over two hours, clutching a golden SandWing egg. Dune had given him careful instructions on how to locate the precious thing, and it had still taken him an hour of hopeless scrambling in the desert heat to find it, then he had to fly back in the dark storm that had built up around the SkyWing kingdom, already tired from his flight there.

Kestrel should've gotten it, as a SkyWing naturally she was the best flier so she wouldn't of minded the journey, and the scorching sun of the desert probably wouldn't of bothered her either. But of course she just had to get the SkyWing egg.

"I know the SkyWing kingdom better than any of you, they won't catch me a second time. But you lot? Have fun in the arena."

Bullshit. Hvitur wasn't an idiot, he wouldn't be foolish enough to get caught but SkyWing guards. They weren't the brightest dragons to say the least. The stories Kestrel would sometimes tell depicted them as lazy, slow assholes, "almost as bad as RainWings." Kestrel was insistent on using any chance she had to insult other dragons.

I'm almost there. He was around the mountain where the caves he would be spending the next 8 years in were, he just had to find the ravine leading down to the boulder and the caves. It wasn't a very large ravine, just big enough to find it if you were looking for it, perfect to hide the talons of peace's most important dragonets. Unfortunately it was also incredibly cramped, far from the Ice Kingdom's pristine snow-filled plains, it's miles upon miles of untouched frost. It was beautiful and what Hvitur missed most about his old home. But he would never see it again, not after what he had done.

There, jackpot. Hvitur let out a sigh of relief, getting ready to swoop down when he heard a piercing screech puncture the air.

"I WILL KILL YOU, I WILL-AGHH!" The desperate roars turned into screams, whoever was making them was clearly not having a fantastic day. Carefully Hvitur drifted down to the clouds, poking his snout through just enough so he could see a dark red figure surrounded by a pale yellow entourage of armed guards. The biggest of them had her claws stained red, grinning wickedly at the rips on the SkyWing's wings. Hvitur gulped, he was glad for his silver colouring, blending in with the snow-like clouds.

"Now tell me SkyWing, what are you doing all the way out here on a stormy night, with an egg?" The obsidian eyed dragon said, mockingly admiring the orange egg like it was some kind of precious gemstone, ready to be made into her crown.

No. Hvitur's heart dropped. That's the SkyWing egg. Kestrel, what have you done?

"I will never tell you anythinGAH!" The large SandWing made a quick strike to Kestrel's shoulder.

"You and your stupid little heroics, spare me the monologue. I know that it's the brightest night tomorrow, I'm not an idiot." She snarled, twisting her talon deeper into the already serious wound. "You're from the talons of peace. The bunch of fools who think it's a good idea to stop the war, well guess what? You're little prophecy is nothing more than a nursery rhyme, and I'm going to prove it by smashing this stupid egg."

No, no, no. She wouldn't. Not an egg, no one- would she? Destroy an egg? Hvitur felt sick, he wanted to throw up, he wanted to grab the egg and hold it out of her reach. Out of her pale blood-stained talons. Leave it be, it's just an egg, just an-

"Oops!"

Crack! The splintering sound of the egg meeting ragged, wet stone echoed throughout night. Kestrel roared.

"So much for your wittle prophecy." Burn said letting her head drop down to meet Kestrel's. "So much for your wittle dragonets saving the day."