Chapter 4:Trust Betrayed

That night Kalan walked out from under the beech tree and walked across to the river. He knelt down and cupped his claws, dipped them into the river and splashed water onto his muzzle. Kalan sits back and runs through the events that have recently happened. He thought of the ability to use the magic that he had. How did I get it? He thought about what he was going to do getting up, he walks back under the tree and sits down, leaning against the trunk, staring out through the leaves, lost in thought. Selena stirs and sits up.

"What are you doing up?"

He continues to stare out through the leaves. "Thinking."

She looked at him, concerned. "About?"

Kalan sinks further down and closes his eyes. "About all that has happened, all that might happen and all that will. Go back to sleep."

She sat there looking at nothing in particular. "You know we need to find food soon."

He waited till she had lay down and gone back to sleep before he got up and walked over to the cliff. He stood there staring at the treetops. As the sun began to rise, Kalan looked down the cliff face and noticed a small glint about mid-way down. He scrambled down the cliff face to get a better look. He noticed that they were a pair of blades and a dagger, staring at them he frowned upon seeing the emblem on the hilt of the blades. He tied them to his belt and scrambled the rest of the way down. Once at the bottom, he ran his finger along one of the blades. The blades themselves where seventy-three and forty centimetre of solid steel. He stood there for a short while staring at the emblem, noting it was his mother's emblem. Remembering the others he tucks the dagger into his belt where he could reach it in a hurry and faces the cliff face, beginning to climb. As Kalan climbed he noticed another glint off to the side from where he found the blades. He crawled over to the glint, careful to not lose his grip. The glint turned out to be a small golf ball sized crystal. It was smooth to the touch, like that of a cut crystal, spherical in shape. It was clear like a diamond and had a small sapphire structure inside. It looked like the veins of a person, but more chaotic. Holding onto the cliff with one hand he pocketed the crystal. Once secured he continued his climb back up the cliff.

When he got to the top he noticed Max's face staring down at him. "Max, you're in my way. Move."

Max moved a pace to the side so Kalan could climb back onto the cliff top.

He turned to face him standing there in silence for a few seconds. "What where you doing?"

Kalan looked back to the cliff. "What do you think? I was climbing."

He shook his head. "Not that."

Kalan looks about and sigh. "Thinking."

He scratched his head and smiled. "About what?"

Kalan looks at him and laugh. "Stuff."

He turns and walks back toward the camp. "Whatever." As he heads back Kalan turns and watches the sun continue to rise. Kalan was still looking out from the cliff top when Selena walked up to him and stood next to him.

He passes the dagger, he had picked up, to her. "I think you might have need of this."

She clasped the handle of the dagger and smiled. "Thank you."

He holds out the crystal to her. "Do you know what this is?"

She took it as he stared out over the treetops. "No, but it is beautiful. Where did you get it?"

Kalan turned to take the crystal back. "On the cliff face."

She let go of the crystal and held it in two fingers "You take it." She placed the gem into his pocket.