Chapter 5

"I don't want you to go on this assignment," Artemis told Percy.

"Why not?" he asked. "I can't leave Omega to die!"

She was seated on his bed in his cabin, worriedly looking at Percy as he was quickly packing everything he would need for the who-knew-how-many-days mission: shirts, trousers, and lots and lots of ambrosia.

"And what if you die?" Artemis said harshly, with tears pooling in her eyes. "You won't be helping anybody."

"Hey." Percy gently reached for her hand, tracing his finger over the silky and soft skin as he gave her a crooked grin. "Nobody is going to die. I have too much to live for—and I'm not going alone."

He didn't tell her about the uneasy feeling he had gotten when Chaos introduced him to his mysterious travel companions as though they would leave him behind if they even had the thought he was slowing them down. Plus, Chaos had promised they were trustworthy—but how could he trust someone whose identity he didn't know? There were chances of double-crosses, screwups, and accidental friendly fire—all because he wouldn't know who was on his team.

Still, it wasn't something that would make him rethink his decision.

Only death had that effect on unbridled loyalty.

"It sounds like they're reliant on your powers to survive," Artemis said softly, as though she was waiting for a reaction.

Percy couldn't meet her eyes. "They have good reason to do so. It came in clutch many times on Planet Chaos."

"Something happened with those monsters before we arrived, didn't it?"

It was phrased like a question, but Artemis probably knew the answer. However, that wasn't going to stop him from convincing her otherwise, or even leading her off the right track. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"You lost your powers," Artemis said bluntly.

Percy couldn't keep the surprise off his face. "How—?"

"My suspicion was aroused when we had to save you. Even though you were in a net and laying the ground, with a dracaena about to kill you, the situation would've been easily turned to your favor with your powerful abilities. But when the water could provide you support only when you were standing inside of it . . . everything made sense. And of course, how you reacted." 

Percy sighed, resigned as he sat beside Artemis. "What are you going to do?"

 She slung an arm around his shoulders and pulled him so close that he could feel her cool breath fanning his ear. "This is your choice. Not mine."

It was hard for Percy to concentrate, giving how perfect her body felt against his. So, it took him a few seconds to formulate an answer. "Tell me what you want me to do."

"No." Artemis caressed his face with her hand. "For too long, you've been following the will of the gods, even at times where you thought it was wrong. I'm not going to use your loyalty to manipulate you. I know you'll probably want to go—I don't like it, but if anything you said about Rosaline is true, you'll return back to me safely."

"How can I die when I have a beautiful goddess waiting for me back home?"

For the first time probably in her whole life Artemis blushed, probably thinking he was just trying to flatter her. But not a single pore of his body disagreed with his statement. Artemis was one of the most beautiful goddesses (In Percy's eyes, the most) and her amazing personality made her seem even more attractive.

"If you cuddle with me, I'll be allow you to go," Artemis decided.

And in times like this, she was adorable. 

Percy was happy to oblige with her request.

~~~

The quest was going bad before it even started—and it wasn't really Percy's fault this time.

He reached the Big House, completely ready an hour before he had been instructed to. To his surprise, Psi, Theon, Temo, and Rosaline were already in the living room, sprawled out on the couches that were still in one piece, looking bored as though they had been waiting.

"Finally!" one of the cloaked figures—Psi—exclaimed, jumping up to his feet when Percy entered. "How long can one take to get ready?"

Percy was baffled at his aggressiveness. "We're not supposed to leave yet."

Psi shook his head disapprovingly. "Don't you know? You always come early just in case."

"I'm pretty sure we still have one hour," Percy pointed out. "And Chaos still isn't here."

He had the sense that Psi was fuming behind his hood. "Fine." He stormed out of the room.

Percy looked at Rosaline, confused. "Is he always like that?"

Rosline had a knowing look on her face."He's arrogant and presumptuous, but passive-aggresive? Not usually." 

"Give him a break," Another cloaked figure—Theon—said. "Omega's important to him."

That explained his rough and aggressive behavior, but not why Psi was trying to prove Percy wrong, even for the smallest of things, and even when it seemed he knew the points he was trying to win were ridiculous. 

In addition, Percy had a nagging feeling that he had known Psi before, but he dismissed it; he had met too many people in his short lifetime to fully remember everybody, plus the possibility of his voice being similar to someone else's was also likely.

Percy was still thinking about this encounter when a swirling portal appeared in front of him before Chaos stepped out of it.

"Everyone ready?" he asked, before surveying the room. He frowned as he realized Psi was missing then sighed. "In one of his moods again?"

"You could say that," Rosaline said.

Percy wasn't sure what to make of her cryptic words, or the sympathetic look Chaos sent him before he went to fetch Psi.

"Am I missing something important?" Percy asked, hopelessly confused.

"Yes, but I'll bet you'll grasp it sooner or later," Rosaline replied—which only served to confuse him even more.

"We're going to Planet Void, right?" Percy felt foolish he hadn't asked that question sooner.

Rosaline started to respond, but was cut off by Chaos as he entered the room, followed by a sullen Psi. "More specifically, her capital city, Shadeborough. You've only got two weeks before Void has enough energy to rise again."

Percy's backpack filled to the brim with questing supplies suddenly felt tiny. "Two weeks? You've got to be kidding me."

Chaos gave him a grim smile. "You could be finished in a few days; what's important is that you have more time than you actually need—meaning there's room for error." 

Little did they know, those extra days would come in handy a lot.