Chapter 59

I scrambled towards my only ally in this precarious situation: Omega. He still hadn't defeated his soldier. The Chaos soldier seemed to be capable with his sword using it like a natural extension of his hand. However, he was a thin lad using an equally-thin rapier; the exact opposite of the captain.

I jumped in the air, broadsiding the soldier, and we tumbled to the ground. His sword slipped out of his grip and clattered to the ground ten feet away.

Omega stood still for a moment, as though he was still processing what happened, then asked, "What the heck was that for? I was winning!"

"I wasn't!" I shot back as I restrained the squirming soldier. "Defeat the captain for me, will you?"

Omega realized that the captain was quickly barreling toward him, terrifyingly roaring at the top of his lungs in rage. He turned towards him, on guard.

"Let go of me!" The soldier I was pinning down exclaimed, drawing my attention from Omega. "Fight like a real man!"

"I am," I replied, then promptly smashed his face into the cobblestone, knocking him out.

Meanwhile, Omega was faring much better with the captain than he was with the soldier. A moment before the captain collided with him, he simply stepped to the side and stuck his foot out. The captain was big, and he couldn't maneuver well with his momentum. He could only widen his eyes in horror as he tripped over Omega's foot and toppled to the ground. His head banged against the cobblestone, rendering him unconscious. 

Behind us, the trapped soldier pulled the sword out of the cobblestone and his clothes, finally freeing himself. He raised it above his head, ready to charge at us—and then he saw his captain limp on the road. His expression changed to worry, and he swiftly ran away, screaming at the top of his lungs for help.

Omega looked at me as we sheathed our swords. "Did you see where Lord Chaos and his company went?"

I pointed past the inn. "They took the next right, I believe."

"Then let's go. We have no time to lose." He snapped his fingers, and Charlotte and Fauvel appeared next to us. 

I stared in shock at Fauvel, failing to stifle my laughter. "What happened to you, man?"

He was covered in so much pink that it was hard to see his coat, and his eyelashes glittered. Mini tutus had been placed above his hooves, though they were so small they looked like sparkling scrunchies. Worst of all, he had a hot pink party hat strapped to his head. It looked like he was trying to be the first horse ballet dancer.

"The handiwork of Lady End's handmaidens' daughters," Omega said with a sigh, then snapped his fingers again before jumping on Fauvel. All the pink immediately disappeared from Fauvel, and the horse let out an audible sound of relief.

Fauvel glared at Charlotte, who was still laughing. It isn't that funny.

It is, Charlotte countered with a snort as I grabbed her reins and climbed astride her. Whenever I see you, I'll remember that your favorite color is pink. 

Omega and Fauvel charged forward. Caught by surprise, it took me a moment to spur Charlotte, but we caught up a few seconds later.

Again, I had no idea where we were going, but Charlotte just followed Omega's lead.

As we turned a corner, the thunder of hooves filled my ears from behind me. I turned in the saddle and gasped.

A dozen mounted soldiers were boring down on us. All had hateful expressions on their faces. As I was watching, half of them loaded their crossbows, grabbed their reins tightly in one hand, and stood up, aiming their weapons at us with their other hand—all in a fluid movement. Their horses didn't even miss a step. It was an impressive show of skill, to say the least, but since they were aiming at me, it was concerning.