| 19.2

[DAMIEN]

They were burned. Each of them. Scorch marks across the sides of the trees; branches singed close to the leaves. I slid my hands over the scars. I closed my eyes.

Eon.

I thought I had more time. Eon made it seem like he understood me. But looking at the trees that blocked our path, he didn't understand a damn thing. The burned portraits in the room was just a warning of what was to come. Were the trees a message?

What are you trying to tell me, Eon?

With my heart hammering in my chest, I stood next to Theo. Five guards rushed past us on horseback. The sound of their horses echoed in the wind.

"They'll notify the King." Theo half turned, watching them, He clenched his jaw, one hand in a tight fist. His nerves were on the surface, slipping down his face in beads of sweat.

I wanted to tell him. Warn him. But I was afraid Eon was not only watching but listening. If I admitted what happened, what would happen to everyone? Was that what the trees were—a warning to keep humans away from the Gate?

"We'll have to wait for the okay to continue." Theo looked back at me with a small smile. "So, looks like you'll be here with us a while more."

My stomach tightened. If I stayed longer than planned, Eon would come. The possible destruction was clear; evident in the damage burned into the trees. What if he did that to the guards? To Theo? Elena? I wouldn't, couldn't, live with myself.

"Theo, I—" I lifted my hand, ready to plead my case—I needed to go, even if it meant leaving them all behind—but quick feet rushed in our direction. I side stepped to avoid impact, barely missing Elena as she pushed herself through Theo and me. Parts of her curls came undone from her hair, blowing in the wind. As I stumbled back, I watched her huff, red in the face. The corners of her eyes glistened.

"We are not staying behind," she hissed, looking up at the guy who would be her leading guard. The look on Theo's face tightened, jaw clenched. He chewed on the insides of his cheeks, nervous; the reluctance was all over his face.

Sighing, I reached out and touched Elena's shoulder. The sharp look she shot in my direction made me pause. Was she so determined? I understood the situation, knew what had to be done, but if there were rules, she had to follow them, right?

But Elena doesn't follow rules. That's why I'm here.

Frowning, I lowered my hand.

"We need to keep going. Why would a few trees stop us now?" Elena's gaze bounced from me to Theo. "You have your soldiers, you can tell them what to do," she said to him. "Lead them to complete my tour."

Theo's brows furrowed. "Elena, I can't," he said. "In this situation, King Rodrigo needs to be included and it will be his word I follow."

Elena's hands balled into fists. Stepping on the tips of her toes to cut the height difference between her and Theo, she lifted her chest. "And why is that?"

I scratched the side of my head. Was she serious? "Elena," I said quietly, "maybe you should listen to Theo."

"No." She didn't look at me, but with the tone of her voice, I didn't want her to. I could only imagine on the look that came with it. Fierce authority. "I need to hear him say it."

"Say what, Elena?" Theo blinked. "Your father is the King, and I, as a royal guard, must do as he says. With this kind of danger—"

Elena angrily pointed at the blocked path. "They are just trees, Theo!"