| 27.1

[ELENA]

The sun poured in through the armory's stained glass windows. Rays of light passed over the guards swiftly moving on Theo's command; my command as Queen. With weapons in their holsters, leather armor on their backs, these men and women were prepared to fight for me, for Homestead.

Though I hoped it wouldn't get to that.

Exiting the vast room brightened by swords, daggers, and shields, my mind raced. My plan made sense to me; convince the Attributions of humble, shared life. For that to happen, the Gate had to come down. I knew my people would agree; for the sake of the children of the past, in the future, anyone would agree.

My concern was them. Would the Attributions agree with me? To have more mechanics on-site rather than raising one child was practical. Convenient. And if these machines were the same created by my ancestors, the need for convenience had to be inside of them somewhere. Anywhere. Alongside kindness, and sincerity; Damien turned out perfectly with the love they provided.

I wanted that love for all of my people.

"Princess Elena." At the castle's foyer, a guard waited for me by its open door. I looked at him as I slowly walked down the hall. And when I stood in front of him, he frowned and lowered his dark gaze. "The King is outside," he said.

My brows lifted. "Oh, is he?"

My father had been so furious, ranting that I couldn't understand him. How I would never understand the choices he made and why he had to do it. And while he was right, I didn't understand, it didn't mean I would try; my mind instantly found alternatives, for the better of our people.

Because of his outrageous actions, I avoided him. And perhaps because I was so lost in my plans, with my friends, I forgot about him.

Yet, the guard in front of me was right. My father's voice roared from outside the castle's entrance.

I frowned. "And how long has my father been outside?"

He turned his head to peer outside, and I did the same. The guards following my orders were ready, lined together across the front courtyard. Theo was with them, front of the line. His chin was lifted, and he stood tall. Even from where I stood, I saw his jaw clenched as if he fought the need to argue with my father.

But while he kept his silence, Damien who stood beside him, would not. Dressed like the guards of my people, Damien shook his head as the King continued to yell. And he shouted in return, "You're in our way, sir. No one will listen to you today."

"How dare you!" my father bellowed. "If it wasn't for me—"

"I would have had a normal life," Damien snapped. "But I didn't. And I'm here. Now what?"

I looked back at the guard in front of me. His frown matched mine. "Since he awoke today, Princess. Nonstop. He's berating everyone, ordering us to return—"

"To your positions?" I chewed on the insides of my cheek.

"Yes, Princess, but it is obvious we have not." He straightened before bowing before me. "Theo explained to us your plans of unity, and if peace is what you desire, each of us would rather attempt harmony than rage for war."

I smiled. My heart raced. Happiness rushed through me as his words seemed to fill the space, circled around me. My people felt as I did; peace outweighs the need to fight.

Sighing, my smile grew. "Thank you," I whispered.

As the guard straightened back to his position, I returned his bow, nodded, then walked outside into the air warmed by my father's shouts. Without his royal garments, he paced the space in front of every member of our royal protection. His white blouse flailed in the wind, revealing an undershirt he hadn't tucked into his pants. One finger pointed at the line of people; his other hand pushed into his hair. He looked awful. Crazy. And not my father.