10

I would rather die. I would rather die than feel this way. I hope I die.

My eyes shoot open to reveal the Astronomy tower. My head is in such splitting pain that my vision is dividing into twice, thrice, the amount.

Someone puts their hand on my head, keeping it securely on and blocking out the pain all together.

"What's going on?" I say hurriedly as I come to, and there is shuffling in the background.

Dumbledore quickly takes his hand off of my head, and the splitting pain returns so intensely that I shriek in pain.

He returns his hand gently to my head.

"What is wrong with you?" I slowly realize that both of my hands are confined together and to the railing of Astronomy tower, stretching my arms and making me dangerously close to the edge.

"How much do you know, child? How much have they told you?" Dumbledore says roughly, making his words hasty as he casts a glance to the stairs.

"They?"

"Don't play dumb with me!" He removes his hand and the pain returns tenfold. I double over and scream, pulling at my chains, resulting in a defeating squeak from the railing.

"Keep quiet." He says solftly, covering my mouth briefly and subsiding the pain again. His hand goes back to my forehead.

"What do you have to fear, Headmaster? What have you done?"

"What do you know?" He demands harshly.

"That you, Sir, are a dangerous man. And that you're torturing a teenager for information. The ministry would find this interesting, yes?"

"The ministry will dare not cross me if they know what's good for them." He says hushedly.

"Will you kill me? For information I have yet to know, and yet you have confirmed? For information you obtain?" He purses his lips.

"Why am I here, Headmaster? Why have you so conveniently dodged my questions, given me false cures for the headaches and the dreams? Who are you?"

"I am your creator, child." He says quietly, solemnly. I knew he had a god complex, but this seems pretty far.

"What is wrong with you? What have you done to me?" I desperately ask, exasperated and tired and in so much discomfort and pain.

He releases my head, but the pain does not return.

My old, once trustworthy Headmaster crumples to the ground like parchment.

It is not until minutes later that I realize he is sobbing. Aching, painful sobs fill the room and my ears. I stand slowly, looking down on the man who I cannot understand.

"You know, [Name], in your heart of hearts. What has happened?" He asks me, as if he truly does not know.

"You used a time turner." I saw that much over the years in my dreams. Dumbledore, fumbling with a time turner, quite in his old age.

"Yes, my dear." He confirms softly.

"You did something wrong."

"No," He says sharply, "you are wrong. I did everything right."

I swallow. In my heart of hearts. I know.

I close my eyes softly.

"You ruined the timeline and I have payed for it.. and that, Sir, is all I know." I say, looking sharply to the side. Not quite understanding how all of it unfolded so quickly, how my pain came and went, how my beloved headmaster is kneeling before me.