where sentiment and hatred still held sway/and only bitter land was washed away

Title from "Childhood" by Margaret Walker :D 

some people live in different places but it really doesn't matter ok enjoy the story !!

also pls vote or comment or smthn this took too long bye

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

So when Tommy got the chance to move with Wilbur back in England and continue college, he was completely overjoyed. That night when Wilbur had brought up the idea, Tommy cried jubilant tears at the thought of it. He had come to the US because of his father's job when Tommy was just 4, but now? back to England? and with Wilbur? the man who had become his big brother and the person whom he admired so much and made him feel safe and-- yes. He wanted to, with all his godsdamned heart. 

He could not remember his old house very well, but his imagination has filled in some of the gaps along the way and made it look real. First thing he remembers: (or at least he hopes its true) his mother's smile. It may have been just the trick of light and muffled memory, but he swore that it felt real. When she cooked something for him, When she took him on a walk. The first Christmas he remembers had been filled with serene smiles as he opened some presents, and his most precious gift from that morning, a music box. When he winded up the box and met a beautiful and familiar melody, he couldn't help but jump up and down, elated, saying thank you's one after the other. The smile his mother showed at that moment, Tommy knew, wasn't a trick of the light, and in fact was clear as day.
Second thing: strings. Of course they were present, but since he'd seen them everyday, Tommy had gotten used to them.
Third thing: leaving and entering his house at the US. That evening when they'd left and Tommy had realized that his bed, clothes, furniture, everything in his room was gone except from the one lamb stuffed animal he'd been carrying around, he could remember vividly how confused and afraid he was. The plane to the US had been insanely uncomfortable, and when they finally landed, the first thing Tommy felt was tiredness and nausea.
 In a blink, he was in front of an unknown house. In a blink, he had to call it home. In a blink, he was sleeping on the floor, only with a mattress to soften the frigid winter floor and a blanket to keep him warm. And he had forgotten precious gift that kept his mother's Christmas morning smile alive back in his old house, and now, even though he got it back (after a couple of years of trying to get the contact of the new owners of his old house, turns out they were so nice. Tommy kept talking with them) he wouldn't forgive himself for it. When he got the music box, sat in front of his door and bathed in morning sunlight, he took it to his room to see it by himself, his gift. He had asked the new owners about it for a while, and finally he got a call that they had found it.

The box had been wrapped with a red ribbon and came with a note: 'We were doing some cleaning and Sapnap found a little music box in the corner of the closet. I think this is the one you've been looking for. I hope it is in good shape, we haven't winded it up. 
Sapnap and Skeppy say hi, I hope you have a lovely day!' 
And at the end another little note;

 PS - Hey Tommy, when you have the chance, come visit us! I'll bake us something and we can introduce you the the fiances.  Love, Bad. 

They are lovely people. Tommy smiled at the note and placed it on his bed. He sat on the floor with the box on his lap as a child in Christmas, eagerly ripping off wrapping papers. But Tommy simply pulled the red ribbon's end and opened the cardboard box. He pulled out some object wrapped in thick layers of paper. 'They even secured it'  Tommy smiled even wider. He ripped out the paper carefully and finally discovered the old music box. He brushed off some dust so the colors shone more. It looked worn, it had obviously been affected by time, but there were still hints of golden paint on the corners and the little flowers that decorated the outside box. With hesitation, he winded up the music box and the melody started. The box opened and a little porcelain lady danced in the middle. The inside box painted a flower field, where the lady danced to the melancholic music of the box. She had a purple dress and hat, and at closer look, it just got more and more detailed. Tommy looked for her face: she had her eyes closed and a calm smile. 

The music ended. Tommy was hoping to find the feeling he left behind at his old house, but he realized the absurdity of it. Though, this time, he wont forget it and bring it somewhere where is home. Maybe even where Wilbur was.