Chapter 2 - Broken Memories

A long time ago, in a far away Kingdom, a princess was born. A beautiful child with platinum blonde hair and eyes the color of sunset. She was the daughter of the King and a common maid. But the princess was unfortunate. She was the fourteenth daughter of the King and the twenty-second child of the Kingdom. Her mother had died after her birth and her father hadn't even acknowledged her existence. She was all alone.

But, a kind soul took pity on the small princess. She was the twentieth concubine, Amira. A young woman sold by her father to the Palace and imediatly forgotten by the King, despite her outstanding beauty. The princess' mother was her maid and her only friend. And before she died, she made her promise she will take care of her daughter. So, Amira took the princess in and raised her as her own.

Diana. That's how she named her. Diana Elisé. And she raised her to be a kind and lovely child. The two only had eachother. And they were happy, living in the small palace that was given to Amira when she first arrived at the Palace. There were no servants, no maids, no guards. Just the two of them. Mother and daughter.

Amira though Diana everything. From sewing to cooking to taking care of an entire household. And most importantly, dancing. Amira loved to dance and Diana soon developed the same passion. Every day, they would dance and sing together for hours. And she loved it. The princess loved the concubine and she loved the princess.

Diana may have been a forgotten princess but she was loved. And that was enough for her. She had no need of any riches or titles as long as her mother was by her side.

But this... this is no fairytale.

When Diana was fifteen, Amira fell ill. There were no doctors to treat her so the only solution was homemade medicine with the medicinal herbs found in their garden. But they had no effect. Her condition only got worse and worse, until she couldn't even get out of bed. And then one evening...

🌺——————————————🌺

She entered the room holding a tray. On it there was some soup with two bread slices and a glass of water. Her pink eyes saddened at the sight before her. Her mother was laying in bed, breathing heavily. Her long dark hair was splayed on the pillows messily and her green eyes were closed. She had dark circles under them that tainted her now pale and sickly skin.

She placed the tray on the nightstand before she softly put her hands on the woman under the covers and shook her slowly. "Mama? Please wake up. I brought you food! You need to eat to built up your strength!" She spoke softly as the woman cracked open her eyes. Upon seeing the girl she smiled softly.

"My lovely Diana, what a thoughtful child you are. You are looking over this poor mother of yours, when it should be the other way around. Please, forgive me for burdening you like this." Amira's voice was weak and carried a heavy sadness despite her soft eyes and calming smile.

"You don't burden me at all mama! Don't say that. Now, come on. Let me help you stand so you can eat. You need to get healthier so you can keep your promise remember? You said you'll teach me that special dance your mother thought you when I turn sixteen. So you need to eat and rest and get better soon!" Diana smiled brightly but she could feel tears in her eyes. She knew her mother was dying. And there was nothing she could do.

Amira raised her small hand to erase her daughter's tears. She understood she won't be able to get better. That she won't be able to teach her that dance. "My precious angel, forgive me. But I'm afraid I won't be able to do that. Just as I won't be able to be with you very soon..." she said as tears started to fell down as she met the child's pink eyes. They were filled with sadness and pain.