Chapter 13

"Not all fox spirits are bad in the same way that not all gods and goddesses are good," my aunt began. "And in this case, we see this happen. A long time ago, in a long forgotten dynasty, there was a beautiful, elegant city by the waters. And on this magical floating city, there was a girl by the name of Xiao Hua. Xiao Hua lived there as her mother's assistant, doing the laundry of the people. She longed to do what people called men's work–that of a fisherman's. She'd seen men go out every day with their comorants, and she wanted to follow suit.

"One day, she got on a boat all by herself in an attempt to catch fish, but without any birds, she was unable to do so. Undeterred, she didn't give up. However, when she returned home, her whole village laughed at her as she hadn't caught anything.

"But Xiao Hua was just as determined as you, my little one, and she did this, day after day. By the end of the week, the cormorant had helped her catch so many fish, and she could sell her catch at the market. In time, she made enough money at the market and bought her own house, which was near the river that she caught fish at every day. One night, while the woman was supposed to be sleeping, she woke up. And before her stood a man.

I gasped.

"Unlike most stories, this woman did not fall in love with the man. It was fear at first sight, for she hadn't let anyone in. and then, she realised that the man was a cormorant–after all, his jet black hair came in the same shade as the bird's feathers, and his mannerisms were like that of the bird's.

"'I am Si Ming,'"he said, as though that name was to be feared. And indeed it was, for he was one of those shapeshifting demons who could do great harm, and in that moment, y–Xiao Hua was so terrified that she could not move.

"'Be not afraid. I will not harm you,' Si Ming said, but Xiao Hua screamed and ran out of her own house.

"But Xiao Hua could not run forever. In the morning, she

I laughed and wanted to hear more, but this moment, Aunty Jinx stole a glance at the clock and it was three in the morning. Her eyes widened.

"Xiao Ruyi, I think it's time for you to sleep," she said.

"But I want to know what happened next!" I protested.

"Come now. I have a busy day tomorrow. I have to work and then I have to run some errands–" she said, but there was a knock on the door.

We opened it and it was Aunty Lotus, who was as pale as winter snow. Her eyes widened when she saw that I was with my other aunt, and there was something crazed about her expression.

"Ruyi? Why are you still awake?"

"I–"

"There's no time. Go to bed. And Jinx, come look outside the window."