Chapter 17

"Uh, well, I also remembered that time I had a reunion dinner underwater with Aunty Qin's relatives," I said.

The two aunts of mine were quiet. They stared at each other. They looked like they were communicating to each other through some kind of telepathy, and finally, they sighed.

"You're right," Aunty Seven said. "We used to be immortal. And there were even famous stories about us. Do you know why I'm called Aunty Seven?"

I thought hard.

"You had seven sisters up in the heavens, and–oh. Oh! You're the Weaver Girl in the story!"

She nodded.

"And you, Aunty Blossom, are–"

"Well, there really isn't a story about me, not from long ago, anyway."

"But why?"

Aunty Blossom shrugged.

"Some of us got our own stories, and some didn't."

"Is that why you left the heavens?" I asked

The both of them blushed.

"Well, there was that, for sure," Aunty Seven said. "In fact, many of us have left and we used the heavens as a place to gather to remember the old days. Once you use magic, well, you can never be really rid of it."

"Yeah but we were the women, see, and our contributions were never acknowledged," Aunty Blossom said.

"Oh yeah, it's here, too," I said. "Sometimes, Jayden says that girls aren't as good as boys."

"He what? Should we uninvite him?" Aunty Blossom asked. Aunty Seven shook her head.

"Yes, but we also liked to observe the mortal world, from time to time, and after what happened to your mother–"

Aunty Blossom stared at Aunty Seven. Apparently she had revealed a secret.

"You know my mother?"

They nodded.

"We've said more than we should. If Lianyu were here–"

"Oh she would kill us."

"Aunty Lotus wouldn't kill you. So tell me about Mum. What was she like?" I asked.

"Oh. She was kind and sweet, just like you. And curious, too. She was one of our mortal friends."

"And just what are you doing?" Aunty Lianyu's unmistakable voice rang out.

Oh no. She had found out that we were talking. Her elegant silhouette cast a shadow and she sauntered into the dining area.

"I was under the impression that we were not to talk about Ruyi's mother. Didn't we promise that?"

My two aunts nodded.

"But Lianyu," Aunty Blossom said, "how can we keep things from her?"

"Yes aunty," I added, "I wanto know, too."

"The more you know, the more danger you'll be in. Besides, you're already in danger. That stupid man is on the hunt for you.

I squirmed in my seat. Suddenly, I would much rather talk about my birthday party than this.

But all of that was gone because the edges of my vision felt blurr, and I blinked. I was transported to another world.