Provisional Exam

Izuku stepped off of the bus, costume case in hand. Class 2A were already gathered around their homeroom teacher, recieving one last pep talk.

  The class and Izuku were both taking their first attempt at the provisional exam. Izuku was taking it because he'd shown enough skill and power to attempt it alongside the second years.

  Izuku stepped up to Aizawa, a nervous smile on his face. The man smiled.

  "Don't look so stressed kid, you're going to ace it." He reassured.

  "But it's such an important exam.. what if I mess up?"

  "Kid, you're taking this thing early. You can always take it again next year and be over prepared for a piddly little exam like this. Now go and reveal Wisp to the hero world. Show them why he's gonna be the best." The man smiled.

  Izuku nodded resolutely, his smile becoming determined. Aizawa raised his fist, which Izuku bumped with his own.

  At the start of the year, Aizawa swore he would make Izuku into a great hero. Two and a half months later, that promise was coming to fruition.

  "You go kid." He murmured to Izuku's back as he walked confidently into the main building.

________

  Izuku met up with Mirio, Tamaki and Nejire in the briefing centre, where hundreds of hero students were already gathered.

  "Any idea what we're doing yet?" Izuku asked.

  "Nope!" Mirio said cheerfully.

  They waited for a few moments, nervously adjusting their costumes minutely. A tired looking man walked up onto the podium at the end of the room, stepping before the microphone.

  "Uhm.. good morning everybody... I am Mera, the representative of the HSPC here today.." the man yawned loudly. "Sorry. Happens every year, we're so understaffed... Anyway, I'm here to tell you what the first half of the exam will be. It will be an elimination round. Only half of you here will be able to pass the first part. The second art is a rescue operation, but we'll get to that later..."

  He yawned again.

  "Anyway. You'll be playing tag, pretty much... but special tag. With capture tape. Once 178 of you remain uncaptured, the exam will move on to the second half. Those of you that are eliminated here.. better luck next time. Now, everyone gets three rolls of capture tape, you can work in groups if you want, no hurting your opponents too badly. There is no capture requirement, you could just hide for the duration of the exam, but it may impact your score at the very end of the exam. Once everyone has their capture tape you have 5 minutes to position yourselves wherever you like in the stadium other than the stands and inside the building proper."

  The quadrio collected their capture tape and waited for the five minute prep time to start.

  To their surprise, the walls and ceiling started to move, the entire room falling open to reveal an arena somewhat similar to the USJ, with different areas to combat in.

  A buzzer sounded, and a countdown appeared on the screen suspended above Mera.

  "Go..." He said sleepily.

  Mirio chucked his capture tape to Izuku and sank into the ground, pointing to the mountain zone as he did.

  Tamaki manifested wings and launched himself into the air, heading to the mountains as he tucked the tape into one of his many pockets.

  Nejire burst into the sky with a bright explosion of spiralling light, a new move she'd created to propel herself quickly.

  Izuku let out a breath of smoke, the cigarette in his mouth pushed to the side as he used Dark Cloak, catching Nejire and Tamaki and passing them with ease, reaching the top of the mountain at the same time as Mirio popped out of the ground. Nejire and Tamaki landed seconds later, the four of them huddling up.

  "Alright, so we've got 12 reels of capture tape between us, and 335 people to contend with." Mirio started.

  "I might be able to capture people with smoke. He didn't specifically say we needed to use capture tape, he just said we were being given it." Izuku chipped in.

  "Alright. I can't take capture tape with me when I permeate so Tamaki, you take mine. Plan 3F. I'll be the distraction, Tamaki, you capture. Nejire, defend against attacks and throw a few of your own. We're not allowed to hurt the other students too badly, so just be intimidating. Izuku, try out the smoke capture idea. If it works, give Nejire your capture tape and join Tamaki in the capture team. I want you taking point because they can't hurt you through your smoke like they can Tamaki and his tentacles."

  The three nodded along with their de-facto leader, Tamaki taking the capture tape and de-manifesting his wings, running across the rocky outcrop towards the only path up the mountain. Nejire hovered just behind him, looking around the mountain for other groups before the buzzer went. Mirio had sank into the floor, presumably to lead other teams to them.

  The buzzer rang out, and the game of 'tag' began.

______

  Aizawa watched with pride as his star student demolished the competition. He watched Izuku weave between enemies, unseen within the storm of smoke and shields as he wrapped them up in Dark Tether and disqualified them one by one.

  Honestly, that kid could probably take on All Might and put a dent in him at this point. After another month, who knows? The current Number One had better be prepared to defend his title from a fifteen year old.

  Aizawa chuckled when Izuku backflipped over an ice quirk wielding student coming up behind him and wrapped a Dark Tether around his waist. The student looked a little confused when his hero name was disqualified with an 'IceMan has been eliminated!'.

  He continued to smile to himself, freaking out Miss Joke who was in the seat beside him. She'd stopped talking a few minutes ago the moment he started laughing quietly to himself, and was now staring at him with horror across her features, wondering if it was the end of the world.

  "You're laughing. Why are you laughing? What did you do? Who's dead? Oh my god, did you actually kill All Might? I thought you were joking! Thinking on it that wasn't the best assumption, but you killed him!"

  Aizawa just pointed down at the swirling mass of smoke. They could just about make out Izuku standing in the eye of the storm, eliminating 20 students simultaneously. He raised his smokey hands into the air, the storm expanding and engulfing even more students.

  He was also cackling maniacally, his smile eerily similar to a certain underground hero.

  "That," he said proudly. "Is my kid."