Nine

As soon as the ceremony was over Seungho made excuses and led you back to the bridal suite. Cute titters from his mother and some of the guests whispered that the two of you couldn't keep your hands off each other. It was only partially untrue. When the door shut you almost erupted, your voice and hands were shaking.

"What the fuck did you mean by you're sorry he didn't come?" You shoved him backward almost tripping in your heels your push so violent. You watched as his body twisted away, but he steadied himself turning back to you.

"I wasn't trying to taunt you! I've known all along Seokjin was supposed to take you away! I was going to cover, say we argued and I took advantage of you this morning. I didn't know he was going to get cold feet. I never expected to see you at the wedding!" He grabbed your wrists when you started to reach for his lapels.

"How could you know any of that? Only Dongbin, Jin, and I knew." The tears were falling so hard, all the unshed ones since your mother confessed her guilt to the moment you realized Jin wasn't coming.

"Dongbin told me, he trusted me, he needed a cover story to assuage your family's wrath when you didn't turn up for the wedding." Seungho pulled you toward him, you collapsed against his shoulder, his arms holding you upright. You snuck into his embrace, even though you didn't want to accept his comfort.

"You'd go to jail, they'd call the cops." Your words came out muffled and full of misery.

"They wouldn't, they couldn't because of everything I've already told you. We hoped they'd give up on the match and take the information on the servers by force. I already told you I don't care if my family collapses. Didn't I tell you I would do whatever I could so we turned out differently?"

He cupped your head to his shoulder, his voice was tense with the need for you to believe him. All at once you did, he'd been trying to tell you for weeks that you could trust him. Except for one thing that didn't add up.

"Why did you kiss me in the car? If you knew I wouldn't show up to the wedding, what was that?" Some anger came back and you pulled away from his body until you could see his eyes.

"I don't know. It wasn't supposed to be like that, I was just going to talk to you about acting more convincing. I shouldn't have done it, but you just looked so afraid I wanted to distract you. I'm sorry."

"Why would you take the risk for me? Your father, he wouldn't have forgiven you." You lowered onto the stool, everything coming full circle.

"I don't care, being disowned would be the best thing to ever happen to me. Selfishly I did it for myself too. When Dongbin told me, I felt such relief Y/N." He lowered into a chair across from you, his eyes were red rimmed with exhaustion you'd not noticed until now.

"We're both so fucking pathetic."

"What did he say?" Seungho's voice was quiet, it hurt thinking about repeating those vile sentences.

"That he couldn't disappoint Bang and the guys. That this wasn't what he wanted, that I wanted it more than him. That he can't save me from my family." Hot tears welled into your eyes and you had no idea why you were telling him any of it.

"Maybe he wasn't sure it would work? Maybe someone got to him."

"Don't! Don't defend him. He's a coward, you're a stranger and were willing to try to help me. But he's my boyfriend of four years and he doesn't?" Your stomach clenched with the wretchedness of your heartache.

It was true, this random guy who owed you nothing in the world, should hate you for what your family was doing to his, was doing more for you than the man you loved. Now you were married to him and not Jin.