Chapter 1 - Meeting Maddi

Maddi's POV:

"NOOOOO!" my sister screams as I try to pull her out of the car. She has an appointment with her new paediatrician today and let me just say, she is NOT a fan of doctors. I have to admit, I absolutely hate the medical field and am apprehensive about even entering the clinic, but Nessa really needs this check-up. We have just moved here and being a 23-year-old, looking after her 14-year-old sister isn't helping my ability to build relationships. "VANESSA JACKSON GET OUT OF THIS CAR RIGHT NOW!" I yell as one final attempt at getting my sister to the doctor. I am so glad we got here early because I know this will not be an easy process.

Eventually, I get inside with a very irritated Vanessa and force her to sit on a chair in the waiting room while I sign her in. "Hi, I have Vanessa Jackson here to see Dr Peirce" I say to the receptionist, "of course, fill these in and Dr Peirce will be with you shortly" he says, passing me a clipboard. I take it and go to sit next to my sister while I fill in the form for her. As we are waiting, I see a young doctor exiting his exam room with a girl about my age and a boy about Nessa's age. I am fixated on this doctor, his perfectly tanned skin, biceps peeking out of his navy-blue scrubs, long(ish) sandy blond hair... I can't help staring. That is, until I see him hug this girl and her rise onto her toes to kiss him on the forehead. I immediately look away, disappointed and Nessa laughs at me. "Shut up" I say, nudging her crankily.

"Miss Jackson?" I hear and look up to see that very same doctor calling for my little sister with a wide, perfect, inviting smile. She just stares at the doctor defiantly, so I stand up and pull my sister up with me. She begrudgingly complies and we walk up to the specimen of a man. "Hi, my name is Ash, you must be Vanessa?" he asks my little sister, extending a hand for her to shake, "Nessa" she mumbles, correcting him and ignoring his gesture. "Alright" he says, slightly chuckling, "and you are?" he asks, looking at me, "Maddi, Nessa's sister" I reply, accepting his handshake. "Alrighty, why don't we head on back" he says, guiding us to his exam room.

We enter his exam room, and he guides Nessa onto the table as I sit in the 'parents' chair. "Alrighty Nessa, just a few questions first" he says, sitting on his stool and rolling in front of her with a clipboard. "Any allergies?" she shakes her head, "any regular medications?" another shake of the head, "any physical or mental health conditions?" another shake, "and just checking, your name and date of birth are correct?" he asks, showing her his form. She nods her head, "perfect" he says, rolling to his desk and putting his clipboard on it before rolling back. "Can I have a quick listen to your heart and lungs?" he asks, standing up and taking his stethoscope from around his neck. Nessa reluctantly nods and he starts listening to my sister's chest. "Sounds good" he says, putting his stethoscope back around his neck and taking the otoscope off the wall behind Nessa, "I'm just gonna have a quick look in your ears now" he says, gently placing his hand on Nessa's chin and moving her head to the side. "That one looks good" he says as he moves her head to the other side, "everything is looking perfect so far" he praises.

Just as he is about to grab a tongue depressor to look in Nessa's throat, there is a knock on the door. "yeah" Ash says through the door. The door opens, revealing the girl that he was with earlier. "Where is it?" she says crankily, "Elle, I'm with a patient right now" he says. "Ashton..." she says in a warning tone. The doctor groans and rolls behind his desk before grabbing something out of one of the drawers. He rolls over to the door and hands the girl whatever he got from the drawer. She takes it happily, "thanks" she says, leaning down and planting a kiss on his forehead, "love ya" she says before turning, flicking her long, thick, perfectly wavy brown hair, and leaving.

Ash shuts the door and turns around to us, "I'm so sorry about that, she never does that" he laughs apologetically, "who was that?" Nessa asks cynically. "My sister" he answers, coming back over to her. Nessa side-eyes me and raises an eyebrow silently saying, 'I reckon he's single' and I roll my eyes at her.