VI: necessary end

for the hundredth time, roseanne shifted on her seat. she told herself that her ex was not late; she was simply early, as she had usually been when seeing her.

she attempted to do things and distract herself so she would arrive on time. but she's always losing in this game. she'd find herself doing nothing but waiting. as much as she hated playing the part of someone that waits, she can't help but be ahead of time. this was jennie, and she's not going to let her wait any longer.

roseanne sighed nervously. months of complete silence, dreading the "talk," and now it's here.

she'll finally see her again.

roseanne gazed down at her phone, waiting for a text message while her thoughts went to what jennie might look now.

if she slimmed down or gained weight. she also pictured jennie experimenting with numerous hair colors and styles.

oh, how she would rock a shoulder-length bob. roseanne chuckled at the idea, not realizing that the lady she was picturing was already there in front of her, silently looking and focused on her every motion.

jennie felt her heart gallop at the sight of her ex, smiling. she missed her and seeing her there brought back a lot of memories.

she was at a loss for words. she didn't know how to approach her, so she simply stood there uncomfortably, waiting for her to glance up. and when roseanne did, it was like someone had pressed the slow motion button in life that she saw every emotion that washed over the blonde's face.

roseanne held her breath, feeling the dead butterflies on her stomach come alive.

it reminded her of the day she saw jennie in that painting class. and the one in which they actually chatted at the café. and the second time jennie appeared at the same cafe, demanding explanations while holding her sketchbook with roseanne's nude sketch inside.

it felt the same as the time she held jennie's hand, and when they kissed, touched, and the moment they first uttered the word i love you. and when jennie got naked for the first time.

seeing her ex brought her to that scene when they finally stepped inside their apartment and then woke up to jennie's face the morning after to realize that she wasn't dreaming. and how could she forget the time she woke up to an empty house, recalling everything jennie had said as she felt every inch of her body ache before finally mustering the strength to pack her belongings since they'd split up and she didn't want to be there when jennie came home?

"wifey.." the endearment slid out of her lips so naturally that it was too late to restate it once she recognized what she had said. "i mean, jennie."

"hubby," jennie said with a grin on her lips.

roseanne seemed to relax at her response as she stepped up to pull a chair for jennie, but she was stopped by the latter.

"you don't have to do that anymore." jennie stated as she sat across from the blonde. "but thank you for the gesture."

when did they become so civil? they literally just called each other with their endearment. roseanne tossed the thought aside.

"i'm sorry it took me this long to call." she started. she had been intending to call but couldn't bring herself to do so. quite certain jennie wouldn't want to see her, much alone answer a phone call from her.

"i'm actually surprised that you did at all, since i was the one that made you leave in the first place. so don't apologize when it's clearly me who should be apologizing." jennie replied, her face sorrowful. she had learned this monologue on the way, but it didn't make it any easier to say. "i'm so sorry, rosie."