ALLERGIES

Challenge No.1

Think of an alternative vampire that survives on something other than blood. Write a story or scene based on this character.

-----

The serenity Dobrilla von Raith de Choiseul felt under the light of the super moon was about to be interrupted. The hauntingly, moonlit night was going to have its spell broken by a glass of wine.

Dobrilla was consort to Drakovi de Choiseul the alpha male of the Choiseul Coven. The moment she laid eyes on the tall, muscular physique of the black man she was lost. Then she got to know him and love was inevitable. For all his pure animal magnetism, he really was just a gentle giant.

She'd been human then and vampires were not the sexy, sophisticated, species they were now. But she loved him and his revelation had not scared her. In fact, she'd requested the conversion. Back then, no one in their right mind asked to be turned into a vampire. But she had and Drakovi could deny her nothing. After all these years, he still could deny her nothing.

On this glorious night, a night for lovers, humans and vampires alike, Drakovi placed the wine glass on the table next to his partner. "I was getting myself a glass of blood wine, I thought you'd enjoy one."

"I just adore full moons"

"You and the rest of the coven. Most are out and about. I gave them permission to visit other islands. Super moons are not that common after all. Not rare mind you. But not common either." He sipped his wine.

She didn't touch hers.

"Something wrong?" He probed.

"Wrong?"

"The wine. Vintage not to your taste?"

She gave him a delicate smile. "You don't know? We've been together... What? A millennium?"

"Know what?"

"I'm sanguinem intolerant."

"Since when?!"

"Since my conversion."

Dobrilla reached over and tapped him on the arm. "It's alright, dear. Affairs of State and all that."

"What about synthetic blood?"

"Have you tried synthetic blood?"

"Ugh. I know. It really is awful. But many like it."

"I'm happy for them."

"I am told that research for flavoured blood is well advanced," Drakovi informed her.

"Yes, Blood Labs have reached out to me. I am to be part of the clinical trials. They are starting with B+. To be completely honest with you - I do not have much hope for this. BUT! We shall see. The scientists are eager and confident in the product."

"As awful as it tastes many folks use do use it. Therefore it is a passable substitute for you to use."

"Oh, no. I am allergic to synthetic blood. I still go into anaphylactic shock if I try the synthetic blood."

"I can't believe I'm just finding this out. Am I the only one who doesn't know?"

"I don't keep it a secret, but I don't advertise it either."

"So, my dear Dobrilla, tell me. If you are intolerant to the real thing and allergic to the substitute, what, pray tell have you survived on over these centuries?"

"Milk."

© A. L. Dawn French

1 March 2022

-----

Taken from UNDER THE MANGO TREE Vol.1 the collection is available for you to curl up with at 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BS8SKY6J