HISTORY 101

Challenge No.9

Museum Artifacts. Take a look around a museum or recall your favourite pieces in a museum. Imagine what the past lives of these artefacts look like. Alternatively, you may imagine what the everyday objects in our lives might look like in a museum and what stories future generations will tell about them.

-----

Today it was the turn of Winston and Harvey to deal with the house that had so far defied any of the family that had dared to approach it. It was eighteen months since Lionel Sykes had died. The property needed to be dealt with but all who tried found themselves overwhelmed with the task and soon gave up. His four ex-wives, brothers, cousins, even friends; all conceded defeat. Today two of his sons would attempt to scale the summit that was the possessions of their father. They stood before the house transfixed, already traumatised by the exterior of the property.

"Hoarder is the word that comes to my mind." Winston looked at the collection in horror.

"Ah! Pop was a connoisseur of history." Harvey quoted their father.

Winston made the sign of the cross. "Come on, let's at least look around."

"You had your tetanus shot?" Harvey followed.

Cautiously the brothers navigated the maze of items. No one dared say trash in case it raised Lionel from his grave. Inside was no better than the outside.

"No wonder Auntie Mary gave up. Where does one even start! Look at this place!" Harvey looked around.

"His bedroom. Let's make our way there."

"Why there?"

"I figure he'd keep his most prized possessions close by." Winston postulated.

"As good a suggestion as any. Lead on." Harvey agreed.

Once again, the men picked their way through the property all the time hoping they were going in the right direction. The first two doors they tried revealed more stock. The third door was a revelation and a culture shock. By this time, they were acclimatised to the vast quality of items their father had managed to pack into the mansion. So, upon finding the master bedroom the door swung open to reveal a normal room. The unexpectedness of the space gave them pause.

"What's this?" Winston started to read the walls which hosted newspapers all framed.

Saint Lucians Climb Kilimanjaro*

Witchcraft link denied by politician's wife*

"It's historic moments in Saint Lucian history." He continued to read.

"These are his navy papers from World War III." Harvey was across the room.

"Are those dinosaur bones?" Winston pointed.

Harvey read the tag. "So it says."

"What's that?" Winston watched his brother pick up a book.

"Photos."

"Photos? Hardcopy photos?"

"Uh-huh."

They sat on the bed and flipped through. "He documented everything. Hoarder doesn't begin to explain this." Winston walked over to another wall, this time of books.

He read the titles out loud. "A History of Saint Lucia*, The Creepy Creepy Tour*, In Turbulent Waters*, Birds of Saint Lucia*. All first editions."

"Harvey. I don't think dad's stuff is junk. I think we just don't know what we're looking at."

"You may be right."

"There's a photo here of that propeller that's in the yard. The photo is tagged Umtata*."

"As in the ship bombed in the Castries Harbour during World War II*?"

"The very one."

"We need the National Archives Authority."

© 9 March 2022

* This is a true reference.

=====

Other stories in the series are hosted at https://www.patreon.com/dawnnbooks