SIGNATURES

Challenge No.17 - Creating the Character.

Begin a new story by creating a character. What do they look like? How do they dress? Is there anything unusual about their appearance? Write a scene or story exploring your new character.

-----

Peanut is a Caribbean girl. She lives on the island of Saint Lucia and has lots and lots of adventures. The adventures that she has are not unique to her or her island, she has adventures that everyone has. It's just that maybe Peanut has many more adventures than most people. Peanut's full name is Sabine Clementine James, only she gets called Sabine when she is in big, big trouble.

Peanut is a left-hander and her latest adventure is about writing.

Twelve-year-old, Sebastian is her eldest brother, one day he found the little girl writing. But something looked funny. By the way, Peanut has two other brothers, the twins Simon and Simeon, who are ten. Bass stood watching for a while. "Peanut, what're you doing?"

"Hey Bass, I'm writing my name." Everyone called him Bass.

"I can see that, but that's wrong." Bass tilted his head.

"Why?" Why was one of Peanut's most favourite word.

"Well, it's going the wrong way." Bass now realised what was bothering him.

"Why?" Peanut asked.

"People write from the left side of the page to the right. You are doing it in the opposite way." Bass described.

"People write from the left side to the right because they are right-handed and it is comfortable for them. I'm left-handed and this way is comfortable for me." Peanut shot back.

"Yes, but it looks funny. Are you going to write like that in school?" Bass persisted.

"Oh, no. This is just for when I have to write my name. So, I am practising. That's all."

"Anyone ever tell you that you are one strange little girl?" Bass said.

"No, you are the first." And she stuck out her tongue at him. That was another thing she liked to do.

Bass snatched at it but was too slow.

"Hahahaha!" Peanut laughed. "You're too slow! I'm too fast!"

"One day I'll get that tongue of yours," Bass vowed.

"Yeah. Yeah. Yeah." Peanut teased.

Bass watched her as she continued to write in the opposite direction to everyone else. "You're really quite good... at writing your name I mean."

"When I started, I really wasn't any good. My head hurt and my hand hurt. But now I think I'm getting better." Peanut held up the paper to admire.

"That's because your brain was rewiring itself," Bass told her.

"It what?" Peanut was never afraid to ask a question.

"Yeah. Your brain was used to writing your name one way and all of a sudden you wanted it to do the opposite. Your head hurt you because your brain was learning something new." Bass explained.

"OH!" Peanut was surprised.

"Are you going to do it this way forever and ever?"

"Forever and ever." Peanut vowed.

"You know if you marry, English, then your name can be Sabine Hamilton-Smythe and your initials will be the same way front and back," Bass said.

Peanut made a face and stuck her tongue out at Bass.

© 17 March 2022

===

More stories are hosted at https://www.patreon.com/dawnnbooks

Peanut Tales are also hosted at https://www.amazon.com/author/dawnnbooks