The Light Behind Your Eyes - Story

The Light Behind Your Eyes -Story by Lourdes_the_writer

"So long and Goodnight." Jeremy said to the handmade tombs in front of him.
He could hear grenades blasting behind him, the low but constant growling of zombies, but he didn't care, he needed to honor his friends.

Each and every single one of them met Tragic fates that took the precious light behind their eyes.

He'd trade anything to see them once again, to see the red shine behind Jaiden's MCnamara's eyes, filling her with bloodthirst and revenge but also the tiny speck of orange with brought a compassion and loyalty unlike any other.

Or the neon pink light inside of the heart and eyes of Zoey Fiddleford, which represented her excitement, innocence and thirst to help everyone she could.

Lastly and most importantly he'd trade the sky, the earth and the whole Universe to see, talk and touch once again his boyfriend, Tony Johnson.
Jeremy craved to see the green and blue-ish light behind his old partner's eyes, that represented his dark past, but also his recovery, that represented his thirst for knowledge, and the isolation from the world he used to have until he meet his friends.

Jeremy made those tombs himself, expending hours to make them perfect making the knots of the tiny branches, trying to find the perfect plants for each of them.

"You did an excelent job!" The young Zoey, would exclaim, hugging him, Jeremy thought that he could feel her, that the wind that wasn't strong enough to knock down the branches of the tombs was her, hugging him, saying that she was here with him.

"Pffft- Poetic as always, O'hara." Jaiden would say, if she were here and could hear his thoughts. Jeremy liked to think that she could, that Jaiden was that tree on the other side of the hill, strong and always distant, but she was with him, always.

"I UNDERSTOOD THAT REFERENCE!" Tony would whisper in his ear, making Jeremy chuckle, like Tony always could do even if they were on the brink of death, in the battle that would take all of their lives, except Jeremy's because if he didn't survive there would be no one to honor them, at least that was what Jeremy thought to comfort himself from survivor's guilt.

He looked far ahead, away from the tomb and Jaiden's red blooded tree, trying to ignore Zoey's pink wind and isolating himself from the dark green whispers from Tony.

He tried to think, to recompose himself just enough to have a conscience and not just a little voice in his head telling him that it should have been Jeremy who should have died and not them.

H

e tried to think of his last conversation with them, just as they were about to take their last challenge, "The Superbowl of Zombieland." As Jaiden liked to call it, they would go to Times Square, famously known amongst the survivors as the Zombie Street, where the zombie break out began.

"We crossed the whole fucking United States. I am pretty sure we are ready for this shit." Jaiden had said, preparing her shotgun.

"I have always wanted to come to NYC, I would have LOVED to see Hamilton, or even Mean Girls, but this will work." Zoey had said, she had always refused to use guns like the rest of them, but luckily around the zone of eastern california they had found a katana, and along with a couple of stolen kitchen knives Zoey was the best armed of them all.

"As a New Yorker myself, I would love to give you guys a tour of my precious city." Jeremy said smirking.

"My Precious..." Tony whispered to himself, making everyone but Jaiden, chuckle. "I think this is a terribly terrible idea, but however you say love, I am with you until the end of the line." He said, touching Jeremy's shoulder, giving him a geniune smile that could melt a thousand suns. Jeremy kissed him in the lips one last time and took out his sniper rifle.

"Let's do this shit."

They shouldn't have done that shit.

-0-

Jeremy woke up next to the tombs, with his face full of mud and leaves, his clothes and face all wet due to the night dew.

"Good Morning!" Zoey's wind greeted him.
Jeremy had been up that hill for days, the hill to which he dragged his friends body's all the way from Times Square, he dragged them to the hill where they had all decided to do the worst idea they've ever had.

"It's going to be fun!" Jaiden had said. "And you've got to believe me when i say this, when was the last time that I said the word "fun"."

Fucking Fun were the last words Jaiden would ever say.

"I am not so sure, I really want a break." Zoey had answered, she was laying down, in the grass, lookin at the stars. "I am really tired from our last attack to that soccer field, I just want to sleep."

Tiresome would be what would define Zoey's destiny, and why she was in the grave that Jeremy had dug with his hands.

"I am sorry Jaiden but, I don't think thats a good idea, we are literally getting ourselves in the enemy's fangs."

A fang was what would kill Tony, and why his body wasn't in front of Jeremy.

"I say we do it. We are ready for this! Jaiden's right, we need some more excitement before we head to Canada, one last challenge, before we retire."

Jeremy still wishes that he hadn't disagreed with his boyfriend that day, because if he would have supported him and listened to him, he would be with him, heading to peaceful Canada, where zombies couldn't go due to the cold.

Jeremy sighed thinking of what he could have done to save them, maybe shoot the zombie that bit Tony, try to stay more focused on Jaiden, so he could yell at her that she was falling into a sewer, or maybe not be so focused on Jaiden that he would have accidentally shot Zoey, that was on the way.

He was aware that eventually they would lose a fight, but not that day, not that way.

He cried for the rest of the day, even when he knew that couldn't bring them back, but even after a week in that hill, dugging the graves putting his friends rotting corpses in there and then putting the dirt back on top again, then doing the proper decoration over their graves, and finally, saying his last goodbye to them, but he wasn't ready, not yet.

Jeremy thought what he would do if they were here, he would probably sing them one of their favorite songs, "The Cult of Dyonisus." And then he would grab their hand, kiss Tony's lips one last time, as they faded away, leaving the light behind their eyes with him.

Jeremy stood up on what felt like days and probably were.

"I didn't want it to end this way." Jeremy said trying to swallow his tears. "I love you all so much." He said. Zoey's wind flew stronger this time, as if saying that she will miss them. He looked up and saw Jaiden's tree in the distance shaking one of their branches, and lastly, he looked back to see a zombie in a hoodie, the last item of clothing Tony ever wore. "So Long and Goodnight."

Then, Jeremy headed to Canada, not to forget them, but to honor and miss them everyday.

He was finally ready to let go of the light behind their eyes.

THE END