1- 𝘧𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘯 𝘴𝘰𝘭𝘥𝘪𝘦𝘳𝘴

"Just Because Someone Stumbles And Loses Their Way Doesn't Mean They're Lost Forever."
-Charles Xavier

Maeve Shiere had spend many days thinking about dying. Feeling the redemptive power of an immersive death coming upon them, releasing them to the healing afterlife.
They wondered what it would feel like, if it was as painful as everyone states. If it really contains hours of begging, wishing for an immediate version of death.
The thought about having to let go of this life, to let go of the earth, the people. They didn't think it would hurt so much, letting go.

And yet they were standing there, with the heavy metal sword in their hand, in the middle of the field. Surrounded by burning houses and fallen soldiers.
The sweat was running all over their dirty face, their body was covered fully in bruises and blood. The sound of converging metal clattered in their ears.
How did it come that far? Maeve looked around, lifting their sword in the right hand. The cold heavy metal reflected the warm sunlight of the day. They could hear a few birds chirping in the sky, far away from all this danger.
It didn't deserve to be that pretty, too pretty for fighting each other till death aparts them.
Screaming, louder and louder. They seem to never stop, to keep on showing the torture towards the rest of the living beings on the field. They seem to never being able to stop, having to stand forever in this unbearable amount of pain.

Maeve took their attention again towards the fight in front of them and spottet a middle-aged guy who didn't really seem to fit in.
Perhaps it was just the fact that, even through a knife sticking in his stomach, he didn't seem to be in too much pain to be able to fight. His darker hair looks like it was filled with blood and mud, sticking out in stains from his sweat-covered face. All in all, he was dressed like just another young soldier with the destination to fell in the forever lasting darkness of death.

As they noticed a guy pointing with a sword at him, aiming at his upper back, they began to run. Their own sword drawing, they ran towards the strange man, arriving there just before the soldier would loose his head.
A clinking, and then they attacked back. The man in front of them, not being able to stand the fact that such a small person stood up to him, confusingly looked at them. A few hitches and punches, and this guy fulfilled his destiny.
They let their gaze wandering off the corpse for a moment, before they pulled out their sword of the man's neck.

"Thanks, but I actually got it." They looked at him with a common seriousness in their eyes, as he wiped away his sweat with his hands. He was breathing rapidly, additionally to the multiple stab wounds, and the sword, which was still stuck inside of him, by the way.
"You got there- a little-" He looked down and chuckled. With a fast movement he pulled it out, freeing an insane amount of blood from the wound. He grimaced with pain.

"Yeah, thanks." He cleared his throat, then held out his hand.
"Logan, by the way." They frowned for a second before taking it.
"Maeve." He nodded, looking around the two of them. Most of the people around them were already dead, not much of a war left to fight. Maeve honestly didn't understand why they had to fight in the first place. It seemed so unreasonably, so worthless. And yet, every man over eighteen got ripped apart from their family, and thrown in the middle of a war field.
The sun shined on their face, reminding them of the formerly magnificent place.

A world full of humanity, and yet full of war. So beautiful yet so destructive. How did it come that far?
They wished they could stay all day here, behind them a field full of fallen soldiers, in front of them the breathtaking sunset.

Then, Maeve felt it. Someone was calling them, with the voice full of so much pain and anger. They knew that they had to go.
The voice was calling out for help, so lonely and tired.

They took a deep breath in and summoned a little silver coin the their hand. It was old and began to rust already, but you could see that it once meant something really special.
Maeve smiled a little bit, shortly facing the upcoming memories this coin brought them, then turned around to face the man whose life they saved.
They cleared their throat, until Logan's eyes met theirs. They held out the coin and he only looked rather confused at it.
"Take it, it's a present. If you ever need really help, or of you are in graving danger, then you can call me with that." He took it and firstly examined it.
"This is a joke right? How am I supposed to call you with this thing?"
They chuckled.
"Flip it, with the intention on calling me, no matter the time or place, and I promise you, I will come and find you. But now I sadly gotta go. I hope I'll see you again, my friend."

Logan looked like he wanted to say something, he had so many questions. Yet, as he looked up, he had to see that his savior was gone.

~*~

DICLAIMER: The xmen movies and comics don't belong to me, all of the stories and their characters belong to the writer and publisher of them.

INFORMATION:
because of their eternal form being,
the main character uses all pronouns, preferringly they/she :) I hope it doesn't confuses y'all and I would be very grateful if you could all respect that <3
and also: This book contains descriptions of lgbtq+ scenes, so if you're not comfortable with that, please get the hell out of this story and my account :)

CONTENT WARNING: this book contains descriptions of death, blood, suicidal thoughts, transphobia (...)! If these topics are affecting or triggering you, please know that you read this on your own risk!