Chapter Seven: The Heart

Kikiyo POV: We arrived at school after a little while. My mind was racing. So that is the dog...But that just leaves one question...Who is the god?... My breath quickened a bit but I tried to make it seem unnoticed. I slowly glance up at Takashi, He had a puzzled expression and was really quiet... Oh god I hope this isn't bothering him...I feel bad for keeping this a secret...But I have no choice...I want mom and dad to come back home, So I can ask them what to do...I remember what mom told me a couple days ago...Before any of this happened. It's funny to think I just met Takashi and at the same time I already feel like we are close. It's kind of like mom's story. She didn't even know Yuki or dad that well, Or uncle Shigure. And in such a small amount of time, they all grew so close. It's almost unreal how things like this work...But I think I'm reliving the fate of my Dad... I slowly glance up at Takashi. And he is sort of like my mom in some ways. He met me, and ever since then he just wanted to help me...He never put himself first. I noticed that I was still looking up at Takashi and he was now returning the stare but not saying anything. I spun back to reality "Ah- Oh...Um sorry...I was lost in thought..." He shrugged "It's fine..." His voice was low...I wonder why he is acting so different all the sudden. I stop walking "What's wrong?" He winced a bit and looked down, But immediately looked back up and masked his expression "No-nothing." I lightly grab his wrist "There is something..." He flinched at my touch and looked down at me "Kikiyo...What am I to you?" My eyes widen a bit "Wh-what do you mean?..." He asked once more, His voice softer "How do you feel about me?" I paused for a moment. "Why would you like to know?" I state quietly. He scratched his head "I-...I don't really feel like a friend to you. I feel more as some...some sort of tool." I was shocked "A...Tool? Why do you think that?!" He winced again, this time not masking it. "I don't know...I feel like I just come out whenever you need me. And I'm following you like some dog." I felt my breath hitch "Wha...But you aren't. You- no we, We are friends. I swear your not some tool alright? You helped me so much...I am really thankful. And for that...For that, your much more than just a dog. You are a very special person. To help some random girl on the street...To become her friend when she's lonely...To stay by her side so she doesn't get bullied...To take her home with you so she doesn't have to deal with some problems...To let her stay there and make her feel welcome and to help her...To defend her from someone you don't even know just to be on her side...To do all those things...A dog wouldn't be able to do near half those things...Nor a simple tool. No, your a truly great person. I see you, and wish I was as good hearted person as you." I looked up at him and smiled "You didn't have to do those things, or you don't have to continue them. I'm just really thankful for everything you have done for me up to this point. You are a great friend Takashi. Thank you." His eyes were wide as ever as his shoulders un-tensed. He stared down into my eyes before he slowly returned the smile "I-I see...It's no problem...Thank you...You really think so?" I nodded truthfully "We are friends. Don't ever doubt that okay? And don't ever think for a second that I look down on you or anything like that." He chuckled as we continued walking "Alright, sorry for that. Sometimes I just need reassurance. Nothing personal against you, just past experiences really make me think things like that." I cocked my head to the side "Past...Experiences?" At that he shook his head "It's...N-nothing...I'd rather not say right now." I wonder what it could be...It kinda makes me worried...I hope they aren't horrible memories...But I shouldn't butt into it to much now...He doesn't seem comfortable about it... I only simply nodded and we continued. It was a comfortable silence the whole way, that is, until we approached the building...And I noticed a certain red head waiting with a group of girls. Akahana. She had her arms crossed in front of her breast as she yelled out an obviously practiced line "Oh look, It's the tenth grader and the orange haired whore. I hope you had a nice time last night." The girls snickered and my eyes widen "What?! What do you mean?!" She rolled her eyes and ran up to get in my face "We saw you walk home with Takashi Minobe yesterday! We also noticed you came with him to school! So admit it! You stayed with him last night you whore! Already giving yourself out to some older dude! How many more will that make for you hu?!" At that I heard a large smack. My eyes were huge as Akahana's face spun the other direction. Slowly, I look up to see a VERY pissed off Takashi. His brown hair in his bangs as he retracted his hand from the air, it fell limply to his side. He growled "Don't ever...Say things you don't know about...Don't ever call Kikiyo a whore. You have no reason to get into her business let alone face. You can't just accuse her all the time for things she didn't do. Most of all, when will you learn to just leave her the fuck alone? What did she ever do to you?!" Akahana was horrified as she rose her hand over her burning cheek. It took a couple seconds before I could even process what happened, Takashi was the one who slapped her. He slapped her right across the face...I gasped and looked at Akahana. She gritted her teeth "Did you just slap me?! How dare you?! I am a girl!! Plus your older than me!! You can get into jail! And it's none of your damd business what I do to Kikiyo!" He glared at her "Is that so. Maybe not, but at least I can do something about it. I can't just let you bully her like that. And lastly, I don't give a crap if I go to jail. At least I am going in order to defend my friend from a raging bitch." I noticed small bubbles of tears around the corners of her eyes. She turned around and signaled her group to follow her as she silently walked inside. I smiled ¨Wow! That was awesome! You just slapped her across the face! That taught her!" I noticed my joy was not being shared as Takashi just lowered his head, looking down at his hand in which slapped her. I nudged his shoulder ¨Hey cheer up! She totally deserved it!" He shook his head ¨No...I don't know what got into me...I never hit a woman in my life! I swear...It's just...I don't know...I just grew so angry, that I couldn't stop myself. She kept going on and on about you, and my hand just reacted. I would have never slapped her if it weren't for my questionable sudden anger." My smile fades ¨Why would you get so angry? Honestly, the only time I have seen you snap like that is when..." My eyes widen as I remembered. The last time they picked on me...On the sidewalk. I jumped ¨You get angry when I get picked on by those girls. That's what triggers it." He rubbed his temple slowly nodding ¨That explains it. I mean. I don't really like to see my friend get bullied by a bunch of snobs.¨ I smiled again lightly ¨Thank you for that. But you really don't have to protect me if you don't want to...I mean, if you feel like a tool or anything.¨ He shook his head "N-no it's not anything like that! I swear...What I meant by earlier...I just wasn't sure how you felt about me. I really don't mind to protect you...Actually, I want to. Because I can't stand to just see that happen. Not to you." He gave me a small smile "Well we should get going hm?" I returned the smile "Sure...And thanks." At that we walked inside.