Chapter Eight: A Sudden Twist

Kikiyo POV: I tried to focus on the teacher's words but...Something inside me kept reverting my thoughts elsewhere. What should I not be thinking about? This morning's events with bumping into the dog...Or how Takashi might get in trouble all because of me...And...I really want to talk to Mau. I wonder how he is doing. The last time I saw him...Was when he ran away this morning because of a misunderstanding. I can never do the right thing can I? I mess everything up for me and everyone... I place my head on the table and growled. I just have a really bad feeling...About everything. But suddenly- I felt it. My body heating up...I am under a great deal of stress. My eyes widened as I softly whisper "No-...." At that, I slung to my feet and shouted "CAN I BE EXCUSED?!" My heart rate grew faster...No no no not right now!! I clutched my chest and bit my lip. I had to hold back!! I had to, just for a bit longer. The teacher rose a suspicious brow "Miss. Sohma? Is there something wrong?" I gritted my teeth and shook my head "Gya!!!" I ran out of the classroom. Slamming the door shut behind me. "N-n-" Before I could say anything I transformed into a cat. Right into the wide open public hallway. Good thing no one was there at this time, except for myself of course. I clawed at my clothes in a desperate attempt to not suffocate under them. "Dammit...Ugh...Just great..." I grabbed as much cloth in my mouth as I could, and slowly scooted the clothes towards the closest bathroom. Curling up into a stall and sighing. "I guess I'll have to wait this out..."

Mau POV: I sat in silence. Gazing out my window to stare at the bunches of trees passing by the car. Aunt Kagura was driving. I don't see why...why is she even bothering? Can't she take a hint that I do not want to be spoken to at this moment?...I have to make sure that no one else gets involved. That Kikiyo has really officially decided to abandon us. Trying to run and escape...I have found her to be so much stronger and better than this...So why?...Why must she leave me like this?...I don't want to be alone. I don't want to handle the curse without her by my side. So...does this mean I should run along side her as well? Run away from this family together? But then...That wouldn't justify in the end. Due to the fact that we would be around each other just to remind ourselves of that curse. Kikiyo...I have thrown away my own life to dedicate it to only protecting you. So why must you push me away? After all of this...I love you so very much...And only wish for you to stay. Stay....with me....Breaking me from my thoughts Aunt Kagura had parked and leaned over towards me to nudge my shoulder, in which only gained for me to slowly look up at her. My eyes glazed and lost. She stated quite unsurely "Are you okay Mau?..." I slowly nodded "I am perfectly fine...No need to worry alright? Let's just get out and go." She hesitated before opening the car door and stepping out. I also got out of the vehicle, making eye contact with her the whole time. She walked over towards me and tilted her head the way an adult does when they are worried or pitying something. That simple action received a low groan from me. Kagura softly sighed "Mau. Do you really think that hiding this from everyone will be the best idea?" I glared at my feet "I am hiding nothing! I told you this...Why are you so convinced that I am?" She bent down to be eye level with me "Because I know what it's like to have to hide something that is slowly tearing yourself up. How about we go and sit and maybe eat something and talk this over. Just you and me. I promise you I can do all I can to help. Your only going to hurt yourself and others around you if you keep it to yourself." I glared at her to see if she was kidding, but I only saw a pitiful smile and wide eyes looking back at me. Holy shit, she was being serious. This was surprising. I shrugged and mumbled "If I were to tell you anything, it would do nothing. There is no way you can help, at all. It's fact not reason." She grimaced "Well...It will make you feel better if you told someone." I shook my head "No it simply would not. It would just add another needless person in this drama. I'm protecting you when I say this." Aunt Kagura sighed deeply "Mau...jeez. Well, you can tell me if your ready to tell. I will always be here for you." I said nothing as we walked into the café we stopped at.

Takashi POV: I don't remember a time I have ever felt this type thing. I am very confused. What do I want? Why can't my heart just tell me already...? I guess in time I will know. I sat straighter in my chair. I had gotten back to school, but a week of detention. That means I can't walk Kikiyo home today. Hm. I bet she can manage...All though...She might get attacked again. I sighed "Well this is great..." Now what?...I suppose I can just think of something later. My head is swirling with so much things right now it's really making me dizzy..." Just then the bell rang. I swiftly stood up and ran to Kikiyo's classroom. Maybe I can talk to her before she leaves?...but to my surprise she wasn't there. I slapped my forehead and groaned "What?...Where could she be??" I glanced around the whole room, but quickly stopped when someone pushed me hard. I let out a small squeak and looked down. There was that girl I slapped earlier. I winced "Oh. Hey it's you..." She spat "Hell yeah it's me!! You and I have something's to discuss alright?!" I quickly stated "Can this happen later? I'm in a desperate attempt to find someone." She scoffed "She screamed like a lunatic and darted into the hallway, your'e looking for her aren't you?" My gaze softened as my worry grew "Oh...Do you know where she went?..." Akahana hissed "I have no idea!! Nor do I give a shit!! I want to talk to you! Now!" I sighed and crossed my arms "Fine. Let's make this quick." She grumbled "Today you slapped me...Because...Because you were protecting Kikiyo right?..." I just nodded. She continued "Does she...does she really mean so much that you would slap a girl younger than you...that you could go to jail and everything?..." Her voice was growing quieter and more gentle. I scratched my head and thought about it "Well. I guess so. Hm. I haven't put much thought into how much I would actually put on the line for her. All I know is...She needs protection and someone to be there for her. That's my role." She then clenched her fist "I see...Do you love...Kikyo?..." I furrowed my eyebrows and paused. What kind of question was that out of the blue?! I quickly snorted "Love is a bit of a strong word there don't you think? I only just knew her in less than a week." Her shoulders slumped as she looked up at me. She was on the verge of crying for reasons I didn't know. The redhead whispered "Can you be...There for me? And protect me?...Like you do for Kikyo?..." I winced and shifted my gaze to the wall "Why would I be needed? You are swarmed with friends, and you obviously can manage on your own without protection." She reached out and clenched the hem of my shirt. Looking up at me with pleading eyes "Please..." It took me a moment before I let out a sigh and nodded "Fine. I will..."