Chapter 1

Leo's POV

I dug my fingers into the leather of the car seat, fighting back my rising frustration. My father's heavily accented words drifted towards me, sounding distant. Which was strange, because they were blasting through the Apple AirPods, right into my eardrum. Wincing, I turned down the volume.

"Per favore, papà. Please. I'll be okay, I promise. I know how to take care of myself. I've been going to judo lessons since I was six, I can hold my own against a few kids. Besides, Matt will be in the staffroom to watch over me anyway." 

Watch over me? More like babysit me, but at least he wouldn't pretend to be the teacher's assistant like the original plan. Papà's reply faded out again, this time replaced by a surge of excitement. Maybe, just maybe, I would finally be able to make friends my own age!

Cutting off my father's words, I quickly said "Ciao Papà," and clicked the "end call" button.

Removing the AirPods from my ears, I didn't even bother placing them back into my charging case before chucking them in the front pocket of my backpack. 

I gazed out of the tinted window, curiously watching the steady stream of students pushing past. In a minute, I would be one of them.

"Sir, I've been instructed to drop you off here," came my bodyguard Matt's voice, snapping me out of my reverie.

I beamed at him. "Thanks, Matt!"

He raised an eyebrow. "You're in a good mood today, sir." He was right. I didn't usually get this excited, but I couldn't help it. School was going to be such fun, and I would finally, after almost 13 years of begging, be able to go.

Shouldering my backpack, I waved him one last goodbye and set out, a spring in my step.

A/N 

Trying out a beautiful new banner at the top of this chapter. Do you like it? It was designed by the wonderful  @Girlwithsparkleeye 

I apologise for the short chapter, as of May 2022 this book is being rewritten. The chapters to come are longer, I promise! <3

Don't hesitate to leave feedback and constructive criticism. If there's something I should change, please let me know!! xx