Chapter 2

Autumn's POV

8:29 am, school courtyard

"Hey, Autumn!" The mocking voice rang out across the courtyard. No, no, no. Oh God, please no. Not on the first day of school. Lips set in a tight grimace, I kept walking, even as my heart began to pound with dread. It was all I could do to keep a sob from tearing out of my throat.

The twins' voices rang through my head. "Don't give them the satisfaction of turning around," Ryan had said, mouth set in a worried frown. Ella had just nodded, adding "Those bullies are jerks Autumn, but that doesn't mean they're not dangerous. Whatever you do, be careful. Don't go anywhere alone."

The twins had a morning extension class for Maths this morning. They had apologised to me in advance, but I had just smiled at them and waved away their concerns. I would be fine on my own... Right?

"Hey, who do you think you are to ignore me, huh?" The voice I so often heard in my nightmares was right behind me now. Alarm flared through me like lightning, my pulse accelerating rapidly until it felt like it would burst out of my ribcage.

I ducked my head, refusing to let them see the tears welling in my eyes. I needed to get out of here quickly before things escalated. My hands quivered at my sides, and I fisted them, not wanting to let the bully see how much his words were affecting me.

"I said, stop ignoring me, you-" The voice cut off in a snarl.

A sob escaped my throat, and then I was running, sprinting like my life depended on it. Tears ran in rivulets down my face, flowing as openly as my terror and panic.

A curse sounded from behind me, pounding feet echoing across the desolate courtyard, but I had a head start. There was no way he could catch me now. Not daring to look back, I kept sprinting, terror and adrenaline fuelling every step.

Barely able to see past the tears and wind stinging my eyes, I tripped on a step, crying out as I lost my balance and tumbled to the ground. My knees barked in agony, gravel digging into the exposed skin. Sobbing in terror and desperation, I pushed off the ground and heaved myself to my feet, limping the rest of the way to the library doors. The doors to my safe haven; the doors to the only place I could go to escape the world.

Bowing my head to hide my tears, forcefully quieting my heart-wrenching sobs until my body was wracked with the pain of holding them back, I took a deep breath and crossed the threshold.