1 • prologue

My intentions of falling in love with a man in his forties was exactly my intention when I signed up to become a runner for a movie set. I was only nineteen. I know it sounds wrong but I couldn't help myself. I was completely and perfectly and incandescently happy.

***

"Yeah I'm probably going to go for that runner job this summer, you know where you make tea and coffee and get the actors and crew what they need," I said to my friends.

We were sat inside the on campus bar.

"That's actually a really good idea," Jax said as they sipped at their cider. "Good experience if you want to be a actress, definitely."

"I wish I could've done something like that, I'm stuck working at fucking Wetherspoons," Libby laughed.

"Bro though what if you like fall in love with an actor or director or something, that would be sick," Esme said.

"Calm down, I haven't actually got the job yet," I chuckled. "Anyone want another shot? I'll buy a round."

"Y/n you literally can't afford it," Shayn noted. He was probably right but if I got this job I would be able to pay off my debts for the amount of alcohol I've been drinking over the past two years of university.

"Do you want the shot or not?"

"Alright, I'm sorry for caring," he laughed, "yeah a Jäger please," he said grinning.

"Yeah Jäger too," Jax added.

I went around the table, raising my eyebrows at my friends.

"Nothing for me or Alex," Courtney said, too intoxicated on love to care about a drop of alcohol.

The rest of them asked for shots of Sourz and I, of course, would be ordering vodka as per usual.

As I stood in the line for drinks, I thought about who I'd actually be working for. I had to admit even just making friends with someone would be a whole different experience. The fact they could give me advice about the industry and how to get into writing or directing, even just tips on how to act on set, how to be efficient and helpful.

"Three Sourz, two Jägers and two vodka shots," had to get two for me, because why not.

"No problem," the bar man smiled. "That'll be £18."

"Jesus, I gonna have to get this job," I mumbled.

"Hey, why don't I pay for you?" A voice said from behind me. I turned to see Jack, I guy I met last year on my film and tv production course. Long story short he had asked to come back to mine in efforts to sleep with me, I however had said no. And after that he hadn't talked to me in full sentences for the rest of the year. He must have thought that this year was his chance. Maybe I had lost my virginity over the Christmas holiday.

"Oh, Jack, hey, that's okay, don't worry."

"You sure?" He grabbed his card and presented it to me. As much as the opportunity to take twenty quid off this bore of a man (who could just about grow stubble), I wasn't one to take money from other people.

"No it's all good, I've got a job lined up this summer." Before he could tap his card on the reader I reached for my phone and payed with Apple Pay.

"Oh really, what?"

I eyed the bar man that was pouring my drinks.

"Sorry," he mouthed.

"A runner."

"Like racing—?"

"—On a movie set."

"All done," the bartender said.

"Thanks so much."

"No problem," he replied, trying to hide his chuckles.