1.2 - Cum incipit ascendere heros oraculi laudant

Steel liked to say he had humble beginnings. He came in with the first batch of New Sparks that emerged from the depths of the Well following the initial burst of life across Cybertron, and into the ruins of Kaon. Initially on their own, the group moved as one, losing many in their efforts to rise to the surface. When they did succeed, they were taken by a welcoming party of fellow Cybertronians to be registered and have guardians assigned for their development. In a way, it was akin to the Golden Age, with near-missable changes in terms of the assignment of roles and castes. They were given a choice, and right from the get-go Steel knew it'd be an easy decision. A natural draw to interception class land vehicles and quick learning made him one of the few eligible for high-risk guardians.

Thus, Steel ended up with an emergency medical officer named Quarrel, or Unit-045, in the fortified city of Iacon. Quarrel was alive during the revival of Cybertron and told Steel many tales and myths from the so-called Great War. Though, it was up to Steel to tell what actually happened and what was over exaggerated. Throughout this era, he trained hard, learning every little trick offered to him. Of course, it was no match for the experience of those much older than him, but at least he could keep up. As strict as the Mech was, Steel idolized Quarrel, and this lead to the forging of a strong bond akin to teacher and student. Not only that, but Steel too decided to take a job as a first responder, entering the academy and undergoing further schooling in preparation of his first shift.

It was a thrilling day to get to stand beside his guardian on that first cycle, to be able to be a hero. Of course, he still had no idea about the full scope of what it meant to be on the field, the danger of his duties, but in those first few cycles he grew to the love his chosen occupation. In the following vorn, he got to see his first true arrest. This is when finally occurred to him that it wasn't always about action, but protection. The Decepticon Terradive gave them a good chase, but the sheer amount of screaming on the way back could shake any rookie. After, he only took a cycle off before he got back at it, impressing even Quarrel.

He was doing this to keep the streets clean and to prevent damage to the city, or at least that is what he continued to tell himself.

When Quarrel retired from service not to long after, they grew even closer. He became more than a guardian. He became a friend. Steel was reaching the point where he could go off on his own, yet found he couldn't. He felt he wasn't ready to leave, and planned to stay in the academy another few vorns.

However, all that would change when Quarrel's corpse turned up in town square.